Non combustible mantels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcstatz5829

Jul 11, 2018
Indianapolis
Anyone have experience with these? I’m thinking ahead to things I want to redo. My pine mantel with heatshield is fine, but I’m guessing it’s not exactly code. Bottom of mantel stays around 125F when stove is running, so I don’t think pyrolysis is a concern at this point.

If I get a bonus this year I will probably redo the stove install and would like to figure out something that is code and won’t look bad if I have to sell house.

There is poured cement, which is cheap but requires you to build forms, and not very decorative unless you tile it or veneerstone it or something.

Masonry (like a surround/mantel made from local rocks you picked out of the river) can be cheap and very pretty.

Either one could require some structural work if the fireplace isn't on a slab. You're adding a lot of weight.

Then there is 'cast stone', which is often thousands of dollars, but can be fairly ornate. Not sure about the weight of that stuff, either.

You could also get creative with other materials- like maybe building a box out of steel studs and Hardieplank or Hardieboard. That would be much lighter and still pretty cheap.

Check with your town first. Maybe the old one is fine...