Q&A Non-Combustible building board for stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am in the process of installing the Avalon Insert into a ZC fireplace. As part of the installation process I am fixing the hearth to meet Travis' specs. The specs call for 1/4" insulating board with a thermal conductivity rating of K=0.72. Everyone I have approached at the lumber yard looks at me as if I had seven heads when I tell them what I need. Can you give me a brand name or the formula- if any- to figure the K value. I am kind of at a loss on where to begin here.

Answer:

The best thing to use is wonderboard or durarock cement board (tile backer)..then place tile- marble or any non-combustible finish over this. <p>
A recent HearthNet article which addresses R and K values is located at the link below.

Link: R and K values

Status
Not open for further replies.