No smoke....I’m confused!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Fire is going great in the Jotul but as I look at my stack outside I see no smoke???? No smoke on the inside of the house and the stove is going great. Don't understand! Started the fire with pallet wood and is at about 350 degree now. Can see heat eminating from the stack but really...no smoke. What am I missing guys???

That means you are doing well. You don't want to see smoke. That's why your stove is EPA aproved. It burns that smoke and you get more heat from your wood than the old smoke dragons could produce.

pen

I'm thinking Pen missed some well placed sarcasm.

EDIT: Never mind. I appear to be wrong.

Stove is now at 500 degree with that pallet wood. Wow. This stove is rated at about 80% effecientcy. This model does not have a catalytic convertor on it. Will it still burn some of the smoke? About what % of the smoke will it burn???

I think this is the same guy that had the draft issues with this stove last week? Am I right norticsplitter? It looks like the dry wood has made your life a bit easier on a bright note!

Oh Ya! Must be careful with that pallet wood though. That stuff can easily overheat the stove quick if one is not mindful. Wow. I still have about 35-40 skids I could cut up if I wanted too. They are calling for a high near 80 on sunday in my parts of WNY. Might get out the circular saw and start ripping wood. Hope all my wood burns this clean. Wow..no smoke!

Nordic,

Let me tell you, if you had burned a smoke dragon like me before going to the F600, you would know what smoke looks like. Don't be alarmed in the middle of winter when you begin seeing white "smoke" coming out of the top of the stack- that's just steam.

Enjoy the burn!

NordicSplitter said:
Fire is going great in the Jotul but as I look at my stack outside I see no smoke???? No smoke on the inside of the house and the stove is going great. Don't understand! Started the fire with pallet wood and is at about 350 degree now. Can see heat eminating from the stack but really...no smoke. What am I missing guys???

Congrats you now know what it should look like when your stove is running right and the secondaries are firing :-)

That is one of the many great things about these new stoves - if you're doing it right about the only time you'll see smoke is from
a cold start or for a little bit after you reload.

Nice!

Congratulations our young padawan burner . . . keep this up and you soon will be a Jedi Woodburning Master.

In answer to your questions . . . yes . . . if you are burning correctly (i.e. dialing back the air control after you have the stove up to temp) AND your draft and wood are good . . . you should see little to no smoke coming out of the chimney . . . which is good if you are looking to burn cleanly and efficiently, but not so good if you were hoping to have that classic painting/picture look of a snow-covered home in winter with the smoke lazily curling out of the chimney. ;) Me . . . I would stick with the clean and efficient burn vs. trying to make the home look like the classic winter home scenes.

I must admit . . . even now I am often blown away when I see the fire blazing away . . . and no smoke coming from the chimney -- it's like I have a Stealth Woodstove.

And yes . . . you're burning a lot of the particulates in the smoke with the secondary burn . . . how much . . . I don't really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.