No Secondary Burn - Jotul F3CB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shub

Nov 4, 2011
Southern Maine
I'm on our 7th burn season since buying the Jotul F3CB. I've noticed I never see those pretty little wispy secondary flames anymore.

At the end of the 5th burn season, noticed a prodigious sag in the baffle plate. I think that means I ought to buy a new one.

We do run the stove hot when the temps get single digits and below. Around 700, with bursts up to 800.

I can live without the secondary burn for the rest of this winter- the stove still makes us sweat even with just the primary flame, but I do have to put more effort into getting a hot fire going again in the morning. Still have coals, but the stove isn't retaining heat like it used to.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm relatively handy. Should I get ready to tear down and replace some expensive parts, or are there some secret places I can smudge some furnace cement and skate by for a few more Winters? Sorry, I can be a bit duct tape and bubble gum in my approach sometimes.

It sounds like the stove is being pushed to the limits, possibly overfired. Can you post some pictures of the exterior of the stove and the interior showing the sagging baffle? That will help us see better the current state of the stove and what needs to be replaced. It could be however, that the house needs a bigger stove. Maybe a Jotul F45?

Running the stove when there is leakage can do further damage to the stove. Hard to say without eyes on site. How tall is the flue on this stove?