No real happy with electric bill and my FP30...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fordtrucknut

Nov 24, 2015
missouri
Pacific energy FP30
So my electric bill went through the roof...
I bought one of those tools to check watts used and kWh's...
Hooked it up between the fans on the stove..

After doing the math, with a pencil and numerous online calculators...

Im looking at close to $20 a day to just run the fan on this thing...

I only run on the weekends and days I'm home weather permitting.
I couldn't afford to run this 24/7 though, that's over $500 a month....

Any other more efficient fans/motors out there?

Pacific energy FP30
So my electric bill went through the roof...
I bought one of those tools to check watts used and kWh's...
Hooked it up between the fans on the stove..

After doing the math, with a pencil and numerous online calculators...

I only run on the weekends and days I'm home weather permitting.
I couldn't afford to run this 24/7 though, that's over $500 a month....

Any other more efficient fans/motors out there?
If those numbers are right there is something very wrong with the fan.

Or you are paying roughly $6 per kwh and running the fan 24hrs per day.

The FP30 has a pair of blowers drawing maybe an amp. For easy math figure 100 watts or 2.4kw / day x 30 = 72kwh per month. If the electrical rate is $0.10/kwh then that would cost $7.20/ month. If the rate is $0.20 then it would cost $14.40/month if the fireplace blower was running 24/7 all month. More than that would indicate a problem either with the blower, the meter or the math.

check and make sure your not looking at an estimated bill.

I known I am getting screwed at 25 cents per kwh locally. Agree there is at least one problem here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you misplaced a decimal point...it doesn't cost $20 per month to run my 1200 CFM wood furnace fan 24/7

The fan on my blower is 21 watts..and on peak cost electricity is 16 cents/kwh. If I ran my fan 24 hrs a day that is 81 cents a day or $25 a month. Check your math..something is not right

If it's got a high resistance short to ground and is pulling 15 amps 24/7, that's 43.2 kwh per day at 120v. For that to cost $20 you'd need a rate of 46 cents a kilowatt hour.

If you haven't had any electrical fires lately, that's probably not the case anyway. :)

You can get a Kill-A-Watt meter that will measure the actual current draw as well as provide an accumulated kWh figure from the time you plug it in. That should eliminate all the questions about measurement.
Only unknown figure would be the price per kWh, which is needed to determine the $ cost.

$18.89 from Amazon at present-

Last edited:
On the other hand, January electric bills were very high here in Missouri. I was out of state for eight days and it appears to have cost about $75 to run the heat pumps during that time. After I returned there were two nights I had to turn the furnace on as the stove simply could not keep up.

But yeah, $20 a day at $.10/kwh requires a continuous draw of 70 amps at 120 volts, 35 at 240.

On the other hand, January electric bills were very high here in Missouri. I was out of state for eight days and it appears to have cost about $75 to run the heat pumps during that time. After I returned there were two nights I had to turn the furnace on as the stove simply could not keep up.

But yeah, $20 a day at $.10/kwh requires a continuous draw of 70 amps at 120 volts, 35 at 240.
Just measured the fan on the Lopi Revere, and it pulls 88W with a 0.45 power factor on maximum, and 30W when throttled down to the minimum speed. That would be $9.50 if run continuously for a month and charged 15¢ per kWh.
More realistically it would probably be about $2.50 a month or less.

-Wingerr

I'd bet you set up the Kill-a-Watt with the wrong power cost by a few decimal points.

whether you are missing something in your conversions, or there is something else sucking up that electricity, it is impossible for a fan to make those figures.

At 15cent a kilowatt, your fan would need to eat over 5500watt of energy. Thing would be in fire for this figure to be possible. Kinetic energy is not what takes a good amount of power (big shop fans are 250 watt). 5500 watt would be enough to heat your entire house with the power the ''fan is using''.

I'd bet you set up the Kill-a-Watt with the wrong power cost by a few decimal points.
it only records kwh...no place to input cost

it only records kwh...no place to input cost
Sorry. You're right. I was thinking of another energy monitoring device I have in addition to the Kill-a-watt.