No Power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnDaileyNH

Feeling the Heat
Oct 10, 2022
Seacoast, NH
Haven't had power in about 15 hours. As much of a pain in the ass as the VC is, I'm very grateful.

Problem is the stove doesn't move heat as effectively without the blower fan. It's on an exterior fireplace on a far wall. How hot can I run the stove? Any tips for helping to move the heat around with no power?

Haven't had power in about 15 hours. As much of a pain in the ass as the VC is, I'm very grateful.

Problem is the stove doesn't move heat as effectively without the blower fan. It's on an exterior fireplace on a far wall. How hot can I run the stove? Any tips for helping to move the heat around with no power?
I’m going to suggest that you close off rooms that do not have plumbing to protect from freeze up. Hopefully you have done this already and natural convection will help move the heat. If you do get a generator , check to see if it produces a true sine wave . Hopefully you will have power soon

Reactions: MNtreewood
STT in the 600 range is no problem. With the cat bypassed I can get more fast heat out of mine than with the bypass closed, just have to watch flue temps.

...and may I suggest that you grab some unused blankets and hang them on the windows...keeping out the cold is just as helpful as keeping in the heat.

In the past during a power outage we have used a small 6" battery powered fan behind the stove we purchased at Walmart or a local farm store chain in the camping tools/supplies section that ran on 4-D cell batteries. No super fan by any means but I felt it helped circulate air during those years when we had no generator.

Reactions: 1kzwoman