No Hearth old house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BWeber78

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
Central MA
I'm looking into putting an insert for my house. the fire place currently does not really have much of a hearth. all there are is some thine stone tiles. I say not much of a hearth because the tiles are just mortared straight to the wood flooring. this is a old house and the wood floor is the floor no plywood or anything under neath it. Also the base of the fire place is only 2 or so inches above the floor so I cant really put anything very thick down. I was thinking of putting down some 1/4" cement board, stone tile and then some sort of trim around the edge. any suggestions thanks in advance for any help

Before you buy whatever insert you want, check to see what the hearth (R-Value) requirements are
for the various inserts that meet your heating needs.
Once you've decided on which one works, you will have to fabricate or purchase a hearth pad that conforms
to the rating requirements of the appliance.
There is no other option.
If you know the R-value, we can help you build or choose a compliant hearth pad.

BWeber,

You really need to ID a stove or insert that you like, wanna spend the $$ on, and can make its installation requirements fit your situation. They are out there, but no matter what you will require some level of ember protection.

That's all you are talking about offering w/ your plan.

if the insert requires a certain "R-Value" for the floor protection, then that's a whole 'nother ballgame you gotta contend with.

Good luck and welcome to the Hearth!

(dangit fast-fingers DAKSY beat me to it! :)

I'm currently looking at the Napoleon 1402 where would I fined the R value I do have a copy of the manual but cant seem to fined anything about it.

The copy of the Nap 1402 manual I have doesn't indicate any R-value requirement, so you're good to go. Make sure your ember protection is sufficiently extended as far as needed, nad that your existing fireplace conforms to the min sizing requirements as well.

(ha - gotcha DAKSY!) :coolsmile:

You're right. I went thru the manual TWICE & there's not even a reference
to hearth protection anywhere...
I'd contact Napoleon & pose the question.
Their lack of Hearth requirements is troubling...

ya the only thing I can fined says there has to be 18" of noncombustible
material in front of the insert and that's in the brochure . I'll ask my local distributor if he has any more information on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.