No ash pan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe245

Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
SW of Boston
Havr been talk about a insert. So my mother went and bought on as a house warming gift. She purchesed a Drolet model DB03120. I belive it came from Northen Tool? Not what I would have went with, but without being unapreciative,I thanked her. I looked into on the Northen site. Had all great reviews,which made me feel better. My question is when I unpacked it to look at it, it does not have a ash pan. Is this typical of inserts or just lower end one? I don't really know since I never really looked into it. (You know how mom's are) It seem"s to have a small fire box. How does the cleaning work ? Burn for a couple days,cool and clean then repeat

Just rake the hot coals forward every so often and shove the ashes into a metal ash container... reload stove and keep on truckin.

As easy as that. Thank you. Sorry about the typo's and spelling, still new at this.After spell check can't seem to save the corrections

The ash pan on most stoves equipped with one, goes unused. You can have my ashpan. I shovel ashes as needed.

No problem, enjoy the new insert!

BTW, make sure you have plenty of dry wood on hand, otherwise we'll be hearing from you again soon. ;)

I'd say a large majority of inserts don't have ash pans. I have a large EPA Certified stove that I'm not allowed to say the name of. It has an ash pan and I never used it. I just do the rake to coals trick that Wet1 described once or twice a month.

You have a decent little insert, and quite a nice gift from mom. Enjoy it and make sure you install it properly with a stainless steel liner. And don't worry about the typos, we understood you just fine

Once again, thank you. It nice to know that there are still people out there willing to help. P.S. the linner should be delivered today. And the insulation blanket should be tomorrow.

I've never used a stove with an ash pan, but its main function seems to be to help overfire your stove.

Ash pans are mostly a marketing idea. My RSF didn't come with an ash pan but the new models do. I'd rather have the longer burn times and additional heat transfer area under the stove than worry about another door seal.

madrone said:
I've never used a stove with an ash pan, but its main function seems to be to help overfire your stove.

If I left that bottom door opened with a full load my stove would go nuclear in a few minutes. A few seconds is scary enough.

I just had to jump in here, as a dedicated user of the ash pans on my current and former stoves, going on 24 years. Keeping a nice layer of ash in the firebox isn't hard, as long as you rake carefully. Many people make the mistake of raking all the ash down every day or even every load. I really like being able to wait an entire week or even 10 days of 24/7 burning before taking the ashes out to dump. No mess on the hearth, no cloud of dust, no shoveling. Can empty the ash whenever I feel like it, at any point in the burn cycle. Never had an air leak on an ashpan door yet, but I guess there could be a first time in my future.

A large ash pan was a non-negotiable requirement (from my wife mostly, but also from me) for a new stove when we went shopping back in March.

To each his own, but a well-designed ash pan, used properly, is not just a marketing ploy.

Yes well designed I think is the key.

At my moms house we had a VC Aspen and the ash pan was inside the main door (one door) so it would be a little toasty, and maybe a bit small but I could go two weekends before empting it. Now my Englander 13 has a horrible design of an unsealed ash tray and a plug you have to lift up in the firebox to get the ash into the tray. needless to say I used it once and never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.