Next time you think your job sucks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
-55 with the windchill this morning, and -30 all day.
I work in an oil/gas field in Wyoming my route is 63 wells spread over 200 square miles.
Ran with a partner today so we could constantly pull each other out of snow banks.
Only 3 more months!

Attachments

• Next time you think your job sucks!
    168062_176153789091519_100000906986555_390270_938233_n.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 787
Huh? That's a job?
Was gonna say something about a better photo, but got to thinking it was probably too cold to shoot the one you did.
Was also gonna say something about a snowmobile, but realized that's a rather cold machine to run all day.

So, guess I'm no help at all.

Can you elaborate on the job? (If you are at liberty to do so....)

i dont see why not granpa, we are called "pumpers". Oil and natural gas well operators.
Responsible for entire location, production, maintenance, environmental oil sales and water disposal etc.
These wells make oil, gas and WATER! All goes out a wellhead to a separator which separates the 3.
Oil goes to one tank and water to another, gas is metered and sent down the pipeline. All units have a burner that runs on the gas itself.
If your fire goes out, guess what. Huge popsicle. Also trying to store and pipe water in these conditions is a joke.
We inject methanol into the wellheads to help with freezing and some units pump hot glycol throughout system.
I do love my work, but days like this make a guy insane.

Yeah, i went from welding in Phoenix to pumping in Wyoming.
I guess i am crazy. Although once in a while you see something like this.

Attachments

elk 7.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 715
    164702_490064435824_337906865824_6202839_1271089_n.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 685
Looks like fun! haha

I know the feeling of wind/cold. About a month or so ago we got a bad wind storm when it was -15*. 40-45mph sustained wind, 70-75 gusts. I don't know what that is with the windchill, but I was outside for about an hour trying to unbury the car out of the driveway and it was not pleasant. My eyes kept freezing shut everytime I blinked even. Was hard to walk without hanging on to something.

Damn Steam man.....thats some serious starboard listing in that big vessel !!!! Where was that picture taken??? Safe passage to ya....

LOL..I've done that so long it doesn't even phase me. That was taken going from Puerto Rico to New Jersey, probably somewhere north of Hatteras during the typical hurricane season. it usually is cold that time of year. I've done over 50 deg rolls ia about a 15 second rolling period. The problem is it can go on for days along with the pitching. In December we actually lost some containers that ripped off the deck and went over the side. Buckled the bow metal somewhat also. My job is to make sure it runs 100% since there is no back up plan available. LOL

I don't know though-that cold weather pic sure looks like bad news, and I am from northern Maine.

Yea,,I agree that area off Hatteras/Oregon Inlet area,,,is always a crap shoot,,,especially in the winter. Is that big container ship a big single screw or twin with IPS drives???? Just curious.... I hope those containers that feel off the vessel went straight to the bottom...my worst fear is running into something like that while running at night.

The ship is actually a 29000 shp single screw steam turbine plant. Last container steam plant was probably made about 1982. Steam plants tend to be more robust and last longer than a diesel plant though not as efficient. It goes about 23 knots. I am not aware of twin screws in any large commercial ships save for passenger ships. Hard to justify the build cost. I think the prop on this one is about 24 ft diameter and is geared down to run at about 100 rpm max.

I think all containers would sink eventually unless filled with styrofoam. Coast Guard is notified to notify commercial traffic of possible hazards. But jeez... some of the stuff that can go over the side I wouldn't even want to mention.

the worst weather i ever saw was off the coast of north carolina, coming from ST Thomas to Baltimore in 1999. the north atlantic is mad all the time but down by the carolinas in a storm is just plain angry. Steam ships are cool!!

Ok steam man, you got me.

Joey said:
Yea,,I agree that area off Hatteras/Oregon Inlet area,,,is always a crap shoot,,,especially in the winter. Is that big container ship a big single screw or twin with IPS drives???? Just curious.... I hope those containers that feel off the vessel went straight to the bottom...my worst fear is running into something like that while running at night.

A few years back, a container full of Doritos fell off a ship just off The Outer Banks. Some of the locals took some garbage bags down to the beach and stocked up on Free Doritos!

Status
Not open for further replies.