newer VC encore noncat leaking smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2007
Yesterday I lit my stove for the first time this year and I have smoke leaking out the back. I think a gasket may be the problem, but I am not sure. Any suggestions? If it is the gasket, do I have to call a pro? Can I take the back off to find the gasket? Is this a costly issue? The stove is only a few years old, but the place I where I purchased it was terrible with customer service and I don't think they will be eager to help me. Please help me!

kitkat said:
Yesterday I lit my stove for the first time this year and I have smoke leaking out the back. I think a gasket may be the problem, but I am not sure. Any suggestions? If it is the gasket, do I have to call a pro? Can I take the back off to find the gasket? Is this a costly issue? The stove is only a few years old, but the place I where I purchased it was terrible with customer service and I don't think they will be eager to help me. Please help me!

The Encore has an air inlet, controlled by a flap at the bottom rear.

If smoke is coming out there is is probably a draught/chimney issue.

If it is coming out anywhere else at the back it probably means that a joint in the case has failed, and will require a major overhaul.

I would put my money on a draft issue - if you are getting any smoke out of the stove it means that you don't have enough suction pulling in. Generally speaking any air leaks should pull too much air into the stove, not allow smoke out.

Now with that said - smoke headed out of the stove... well leaks in the wrong places aren't good. As Twigg said there are places where it could come out that are 'ok' but others where it shouldn't. My old Encore when I was first learning to burn it had smoke come out around one of the control handles once. That was unnerving! Only happened once and I now know it was due to smoke backing up/insufficient draft.

Slow1 said:
I would put my money on a draft issue - if you are getting any smoke out of the stove it means that you don't have enough suction pulling in. Generally speaking any air leaks should pull too much air into the stove, not allow smoke out.

Now with that said - smoke headed out of the stove... well leaks in the wrong places aren't good. As Twigg said there are places where it could come out that are 'ok' but others where it shouldn't. My old Encore when I was first learning to burn it had smoke come out around one of the control handles once. That was unnerving! Only happened once and I now know it was due to smoke backing up/insufficient draft.

Second this, when I think about it :)

The vast majority of air leaks will lead to over-firing, not smoke leaks. Draft problems will lead to smoke leaks.

Can you describe where on the back the smoke is coming out? The gasket on my flue collar was never installed correctly and had ot be replaced after a few months of burning.

smoke comming out the air inlet at start up of fire is just a bad draft. Because your stove pipe is still cold and a good draft has not yet been established.
Smoke comming out anywhere else is not good. If you have major air leaks in the stove there will be a shiny black creosote where it is sucking in the cool air.
It looks like shiny black spray paint. Very hard to clean it off. And highly flamable. It burns at 2000 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.