Newer install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Had a new professional install of stove put in at cabin in November 2020. Double wall to ceiling box to class A. I’ve used it maybe over 5 outings up here since install. Last time I started noticing a small bit or 2 of wood that wants to fall from in between the ceiling box and the box trim that outlines the box. I pulled a small bit of it that I could see about to come out and it looks like partially charred wood.
The previous owner had a an old Waterford 103 inthis same spot previously and my installer used the same hole in ceiling to install my new stove. I imagining the charred wood looking stuff is from the previous set up. When my installer initially came out, he was attentive to clearances when going over the location of stove.
Can you tell if my installs appears proper, at least from superficial appearance? I realize it’s impossible to know for certain with just pictures.

B56838EF-7D53-447D-8C5F-3EB3658E9B30.jpeg C0098E4B-96F2-4DBA-B064-B37AD10208AB.jpeg 5EB4756A-9F6D-462A-83E6-EF741EF8A7DF.jpeg 0DA09266-A411-43DE-A7B6-2036FB2BE164.jpeg F545CBD2-EA8A-4264-B133-3E7EE4CFDFF3.jpeg F8D9C239-A884-4903-BDBF-8E3DB32ED3A3.jpeg 86E304CF-22B2-49B6-9DF2-6126803E7319.jpeg

Last edited:
At a glance the install look ok to me. Maybe a flue damper would have been nice. What confuses me is if the charred wood was from the prior stove, I would think the installer would have mentioned it and vacuumed out the area..

If it was my setup I would at least remove the trim piece and take a look to see where that is coming from. Especially if it appeared after the install.

Reactions: moresnow
Also, on closer inspection is that a soot stain on the outside of the box? It's hard to tell without being there but it sure looks like something burned up in there. Definitely would be concerned.

Also, on closer inspection is that a soot stain on the outside of the box? It's hard to tell without being there but it sure looks like something burned up in there. Definitely would be concerned.
I saw that discoloration after my first day of burning., which is also on the pipe in spots- I thought it was normal at the time.

It could be normal, uneven paint job or something. But if it's soot, then it's not normal.

It could be normal, uneven paint job or something. But if it's soot, then it's not normal.
Thanks for your input- appreciated that. To my untrained eye, it looks like uneven paint, plus some of the random spots that it’s in on the box and double wall stove pipe lead me to think uneven paint. It may have looked that way from directly after install-unfortunately I couldn’t be present during install.
I emailed my installer asking if he recalls seeing any charring when he was doing install. I let you know the result of that.

was that support box painted in place or at least touched up with a spray can in place? The ceiling looks like overspray maybe that's what is on the wood?

If the wood chip are black on just one side then it may be black paint. Rub it on a white sheet of paper and see if it leaves a charcoal mark or not. Same thing for the spots up on the support box. There does appear to be overspray on the ceiling.

So I got an email reply from installer. He said when removing the old venting there was no protection from the heat of the pipe and he did notice darkening or charring of the wood in that area. He said it was good thing that it was now brought up to code. I agree.
This sounds like good news. One question remains- would the compromised wood material in back of the new support box be safe at this point, if current install is proper?

So I got an email reply from installer. He said when removing the old venting there was no protection from the heat of the pipe and he did notice darkening or charring of the wood in that area. He said it was good thing that it was now brought up to code. I agree.
This sounds like good news. One question remains- would the compromised wood material in back of the new support box be safe at this point, if current install is proper?

As long as the ceiling box was installed properly, and it sounds like it was, you are good to go..

It does look like you did get some new paint overspray. My installers sprayed my new basement walls and sprayed over the stickers on the pipe , used drywall screws outside. 99.99% and lazy contractors dont want to take the time to tape off the area. I doubt they vacuumed the hole. Take an ir temp reading of the area when burning, compare sides. Also, get a new magic eraser brand and with light water and see if you can clean up the paint overspray and old stove lines. dont rub too hard. Maybe the last owners didn't cut the hole large enough and pipe was too close. or possibly a small water leak and rotted the wood. Did you see any stains on the last pipe. or at top of base of stove.

It does look like you did get some new paint overspray. My installers sprayed my new basement walls and sprayed over the stickers on the pipe , used drywall screws outside. 99.99% and lazy contractors dont want to take the time to tape off the area. I doubt they vacuumed the hole. Take an ir temp reading of the area when burning, compare sides. Also, get a new magic eraser brand and with light water and see if you can clean up the paint overspray and old stove lines. dont rub too hard. Maybe the last owners didn't cut the hole large enough and pipe was too close. or possibly a small water leak and rotted the wood. Did you see any stains on the last pipe. or at top of base of stove.
Thanks for your input ( all others as well). The old pipe being to close likely the issue according to my installer.
With the new set up , I’ve measured temp of ceiling support box ( part that is visible in stove room above stove. Highest I’ve seen is about 115. Not sure how much of this if due to heat rising to it from directly below. Seems fine to me. Would you suspect the temp of support box would be much higher inside the ceiling?

It all depends on how tall the box is and your roof pitch and rafter/joists size. Looks like you have the proper clearances. Just check/caulk the roof anytime you go on the roof. The (trim ring area). The videos below might be helpful.

What is the clearance to the back of stove to the wood trim near window. If those get too hot just get a free standing heat shields, They make them that swivel and custom sizes, but expensive. Stove looks great enjoy and dont forget a ultra low co alarm and regular co alarm or at minimum regular co alarm.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

https://www.northlineexpress.com/dura-tech-help.html

It all depends on how tall the box is and your roof pitch and rafter/joists size. Looks like you have the proper clearances. Just check/caulk the roof anytime you go on the roof. The (trim ring area). The videos below might be helpful.

What is the clearance to the back of stove to the wood trim near window. If those get too hot just get a free standing heat shields, They make them that swivel and custom sizes, but expensive. Stove looks great enjoy and dont forget a ultra low co alarm and regular co alarm or at minimum regular co alarm.

https://www.northlineexpress.com/dura-tech-help.html

Thanks again,
I’m forgetting the exact measurements in the back that are required but I know that I exceeded them by a good amount. My picture is deceiving for sure. This particular stove has heat shield on back and sides as well. When I hit the wall on sides and back with the IR gun, it’s in the 70’s. Good there

Reactions: MR. GLO