Newbie with questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatherof2

Aug 12, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi Gang,

First post here. I have a few questions.

I would like to put a pellet stove in my basement. I have a little shop / workspace down there, and I would like to be able to be comfortable down there this winter. The basement is unfinished and is about 30 ft x 45 ft.

Two of the walls are 7 feet tall and cement, but the back wall is about 3 feet tall. Can I just put a stove in the corner, and run a pipe up above the 3 ft wall and through the house? I was hoping that since the floor and the wall behind the stove was cement, that I would be good to go with minimal expense. True?

I don't care how the stove looks. In fact, I was hoping to buy something off of Craigslist for short money.

Is running an exhaust pipe expensive? Am I messing with building codes here? As you can tell, I am clueless about this stuff.

In a nutshell, I would like to buy a cheap stove off Craigslist, throw it in the basement.....run a pipe through the wall and be good to go when I want to work in the basement.

Thanks for any input!

Hi Gang,

First post here. I have a few questions.

I would like to put a pellet stove in my basement. I have a little shop / workspace down there, and I would like to be able to be comfortable down there this winter. The basement is unfinished and is about 30 ft x 45 ft.

Two of the walls are 7 feet tall and cement, but the back wall is about 3 feet tall. Can I just put a stove in the corner, and run a pipe up above the 3 ft wall and through the house? I was hoping that since the floor and the wall behind the stove was cement, that I would be good to go with minimal expense. True?

I don't care how the stove looks. In fact, I was hoping to buy something off of Craigslist for short money.

Is running an exhaust pipe expensive? Am I messing with building codes here? As you can tell, I am clueless about this stuff.

In a nutshell, I would like to buy a cheap stove off Craigslist, throw it in the basement.....run a pipe through the wall and be good to go when I want to work in the basement.

Thanks for any input!
I used to use one of those vent less kerosene heaters in my basement for my wood working shop until they banned them in Ma. NO codes, do just as you say, light it up, takes the chill off at the very least and very very low maintenance. These days we have to buy a propane equivalent and plum the gas in from outside but portable vent less is ok in this state.

Pellet stoves, that's another matter. Lot of routine maintenance and yes most likely codes involved unless you don't like insurance. However, if you did this ( correctly, can't stress that enough) and put in a good sized unit you not only could heat your basement but perhaps take a good chunk off your heating bill as well, if the layout is right.

I'll let others take it from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.