Newbie Standoff Vinyl Siding Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dieseldude

Jun 10, 2024
ohio
Installing my woodstove in my new home and worried about the siding issue I see people have. I have 6 inch selkirk thru the wall setup. I can't find a Standoff box so I can J-Channel around it and reinstall the siding. The Chimney pipe has a 8 inch outside diameter. Anyone done this? Know the part number? Is this it says it has a 8 1/4 inside diameter.

Newbie Standoff Vinyl Siding Issue

That's for gas. If you got a kit it should have a wall thimble.
I have the kit, but its flat waters gonna get behind the siding. The kit comes with a flat flashing that screws to the wall. But from what I gather they make a standoff square piece that can go on to box it then use J-channel to make it much neater with making it leak proof also keeping the siding away from the pipe. If i just use the flat flashing that goes on the outside wall how do I seal the siding since its a uneven surface. Rather not screw it straight to the siding and seal the gaps with sealant. The standoff box I thought was the answer.

Is there any possibility of going straight up and out the roof? That would be a superior installation with no siding issues and could cost less.

I just bought the house and the roof is less then a year old, hate to crack it open.
I hear you. I had to do this with a 3 yr. old roof, but it was the right decision. No regrets. Done right, there should be no issues. It looks and drafts a lot better.

Reactions: TheJeff
I have the kit, but its flat waters gonna get behind the siding. The kit comes with a flat flashing that screws to the wall. But from what I gather they make a standoff square piece that can go on to box it then use J-channel to make it much neater with making it leak proof also keeping the siding away from the pipe. If i just use the flat flashing that goes on the outside wall how do I seal the siding since its a uneven surface. Rather not screw it straight to the siding and seal the gaps with sealant. The standoff box I thought was the answer.
Tuck the top under the siding bottom over. It's pretty straight forward. But yes through the roof is better and cheaper