Newbie question??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Borch2aw

Nov 20, 2018
Detroit
Why is the air intake on my wood stove, on the back wall of the wood stove. I have no intake in the front anywhere. Bought a house with this wood stove already here and just wondering what I should do or if I’m running it wrong. Seems like the back air vent is just too close to the pipe and doesn’t really even affect the fire. The only way I’m able to get the fire really hot is if I crack the front doors open.

Why is the air intake on my wood stove, on the back wall of the wood stove. I have no intake in the front anywhere. Bought a house with this wood stove already here and just wondering what I should do or if I’m running it wrong. Seems like the back air vent is just too close to the pipe and doesn’t really even affect the fire. The only way I’m able to get the fire really hot is if I crack the front doors open.
What stove is it? Have you had the system inspected? And how long has your wood been cut split and covered?

Freedom stove works is what it says on the door. Have not had it inspected. Wood is definately seasoned and dry.
Can you post a picture of the stove and the rest of the setup.

Newbie question??
Newbie question??

I don't know the stove at all. But you really need to have the system inspected. Hopefully someone who knows the stove will be along.

That is a good looking old-time stove and it definitely is not performing right. I don't know anything about that model but something ain't right.
The culprits are 1 Dirty stove pipe, need a pro to inspect and sweep
2 Wood that is not dry enough. You need to buy an electric moisture meter at Lowes, get a piece of wood in the house all day to get up to house temp, split the wood and test it on a freshly split face

You get that old time stove running right and I bet you will be happy with the performance.