Newbie Question - Should I replace this stove? Is it safe to operate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cyxelsid

Jul 25, 2024
Cripple Creek, CO
OK, so I am a REAL newbie here... recovering city dweller moving out to the country. I have never owned or operated a wood stove, so I have a lot of learning to do.

This question may have already been asked, but I am up against a deadline in the purchase of a home with a wood stove, and I have to make a decision very soon (24 hours) on whether or not I need to ask the Seller of the house to pay for a new stove or not. I will peruse through the threads, but I thought I would try and save some time and ask a quick question.

We did the home inspection today, and the home inspector said he saw cracking/damage in the fireplace fire wall. According to the inspector, this could lead to "chimney damage or toxic fumes entering the home".

As you can see, there is a Mickey Mouse wiring job on the attached blower, I know that is going to have to be redone, obviously. Inspector also recommended the stove be thoroughly cleaned. (I will be looking for a thread on proper maintenance of a wood stove!)

The immediate question is this: Is the inspector being overly cautious or is this a real issue? If this is a real issue, then rather than play games with safety, I will just ask for concessions to replace the stove. If it is not that big of a deal, then I may not address this, as there are other items that need to be addressed as well. It is all about spreading limited resources as far as possible. But safety issues take first priority.

Any help would be appreciated.

OK, so I am a REAL newbie here... recovering city dweller moving out to the country. I have never owned or operated a wood stove, so I have a lot of learning to do.

This question may have already been asked, but I am up against a deadline in the purchase of a home with a wood stove, and I have to make a decision very soon (24 hours) on whether or not I need to ask the Seller of the house to pay for a new stove or not. I will peruse through the threads, but I thought I would try and save some time and ask a quick question.

We did the home inspection today, and the home inspector said he saw cracking/damage in the fireplace fire wall. According to the inspector, this could lead to "chimney damage or toxic fumes entering the home".

As you can see, there is a Mickey Mouse wiring job on the attached blower, I know that is going to have to be redone, obviously. Inspector also recommended the stove be thoroughly cleaned. (I will be looking for a thread on proper maintenance of a wood stove!)

The immediate question is this: Is the inspector being overly cautious or is this a real issue? If this is a real issue, then rather than play games with safety, I will just ask for concessions to replace the stove. If it is not that big of a deal, then I may not address this, as there are other items that need to be addressed as well. It is all about spreading limited resources as far as possible. But safety issues take first priority.

Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 328551View attachment 328552
There is absolutely no way to know without a full on-site inspection sorry

Reactions: Cyxelsid
That looks like a Consolidated Dutchwest. A good stove for the 80s, but there’s better out now. I’d see if the seller would give you a credit and you can find a stove that meets your needs. Worst they can say is no.

Reactions: Cyxelsid