Newbie question on installing a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_b

Jan 5, 2007
I have done a fair amount of research on pellet stoves and their installation. I'm a newbie because I haven't actually installed it yet. I have a permit to do an owner install and it will be inspected by the city. I have a few vocabulary questions for the folks here as well as a couple of questions before I get going. First off, about what I have and am planning on doing. I bought a used Whitfield Advantage insert (with the analog dial type circuit board controls). I believe it was made the last year before Pyro sold to Lennox. I have a one story house with a chimney that was cleaned and inspected one year ago. Since the cleaning, several fires were made over the last year but not much action was seen by the fireplace overall. I am planning on putting in 3" type L pellet stove pipe all the way to the top of the chimney (about 14 feet). I am going to do a 5 foot type L flex piece to get through the flu, and then do type L rigid pipe to the top of the chimney.
Question 1. Is "putting in a new liner" the exact same thing as running pipe all the way to the top? Are these equivalent phrases?
Question 2. Is it necessary to have a chimney sweep clean the chimney again before I put in the new pipe? I realize that I don't want the blowers and fans in the pellet stove to be sucking in ash and particulate left over in the fireplace so this will obviously all be cleaned/brushed and spray painted as I've seen recommended. But what about the chimney above the flu, should it be cleaned again? I am putting in a 22 gauge plate right under the flu to seal off the chimney and there will be the top cap plate as well. And, I've seen that some people put in some insulation above the plate that goes before the flu, what is this insulation and where can I get some (I'll admit I've only been to the local home stores and not a true stove store yet).
Thanks in advance,
Dan

dan_b said:
I have a one story house
with a chimney that was cleaned and inspected one year ago. Since the
cleaning, several fires were made over the last year but not much action
was seen by the fireplace overall. I am planning on putting in 3" type L
pellet stove pipe all the way to the top of the chimney (about 14 feet).
I am going to do a 5 foot type L flex piece to get through the flu, and
then do type L rigid pipe to the top of the chimney.
Question 1. Is "putting in a new liner" the exact same thing as running
pipe all the way to the top? Are these equivalent phrases?

As far as I understand they are equivalent phrases yes.

dan_b said:
Question 2. Is it necessary to have a chimney sweep
clean the chimney again before I put in the new pipe?

We did and I would.

Our install was exactly the same as what you will be doing
except our stove is a free standing installed on the hearth
in front of the fireplace as seen in my avatar.
Your plans sound good, but I would go with the ss flex pipe
from the cap down into the actual fireplace area,
then rigid pipe from there into your cleanout T and to the stove.
Easier to manage this way and less weight pulling on the
top cap. My brother did the work up on the roof, and he
secured the top cap/plate assembly to the flue with concrete
anchoring screws and rtv.
Somewhere I have pictures I shot the day we installed everything...
If you want to see them pm me your email address.

Status
Not open for further replies.