newbie needing some help with options :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyudoc04

Nov 16, 2014
maryland
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I would like to thank all of you in advance for your help.

We recently moved into a house that was built in 2005 and we are looking to upgrade the main floor fireplace. Good news is the original owner kept the manual and it seems to be a typical builder grade zero clearance (I think) fireplace. It is a Heat N Glo model RHW 56 and the chimney is in the middle of the house sort of.

My questions are:

1. According to the dimensions of the fireplace, would any of you recommend a pellet insert? I don't mind paying to upgrade to a type A flue (sorry, still new) but I'm not sure if this cheap fireplace is even rated to have an insert. The computer/IT room is behind the fireplace so I really want to make sure it will be safe if we can do an insert.

2. If we decided to rip out the entire fireplace and replace with a true ZC pellet stove (if there is one?), would they have to break the entire mantle/fireplace or just along the border? Would they have to break any drywall? How long would it approx take?

I am asking because we just moved in this Spring and lived through the very tail end of a full kitchen remodel/entire house paint/all new flooring etc with contractors in and out of the house. Not sure if the wife/kids would like to live through another messy construction project - esp in the Winter.

We are getting a few estimates soon but would like to hear some unbiased opinions before we decide on what to do. Thank you all so much! :)

Attachments

• newbie needing some help with options :)
    photo(1).JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 94
  • newbie needing some help with options :)
    photo 1.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 80
I'm not certain but I don't think you can install any other stove inside your current setup. What you have would need to completely removed aside from maybe the flue. Hopefully someone else will chime in and either agree or prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.