Newbie: How to pull buck 28000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

frarmar

Sep 21, 2019
Southern IL
New to the forum and wood burning in general. I have learned quite a bit on here, including the fact that this old buck is a slammer and is potentially dangerous.

My question is: what’s the best way to pull this monster out?

Also, Im debating buying a new insert ($4000) or having a liner ran for the Buck and replacing blower/thermostat while it’s out ($2000). Opinions welcome on that too.

Thanks for any info.

Put down a sheet of metal on the hearth and slip its front edge under the insert. That will give it something to slide out on. If it's a slammer, then just pull.

Another option is to lay some 1/2" pipe on the hearth as rollers.

Thanks for the tips guys. Got it out....

Holy crap! There was 4” of creosote on top and around it.
Yup that is pretty common for slammers. The smokeshelf probably has a huge pile as well

Yup that is pretty common for slammers. The smokeshelf probably has a huge pile as well
Yeah. It’s a total mess. I’m going to tackle it tomorrow probably... The chimney itself surprisingly didn’t look terrible to me.

Bought this house from an old couple who obviously never pulled it. It’s a wonder the house is still standing.

Last edited:
image.jpg
Another question. How can they run a liner through this damper (not sure if that what it is)?

Last edited by a moderator:
A slot gets cut out of the damper assembly so that the liner can pass through.

What is the ID of the tile liner in the chimney? It looks pretty small. 8x8?

I plan on cleaning the smoke shelf off as best I can, but can anyone tell me if I need to clean the flue and scrub down the fireplace if I’m just going to install a liner in it anyway???

Thanks

I plan on cleaning the smoke shelf off as best I can, but can anyone tell me if I need to clean the flue and scrub down the fireplace if I’m just going to install a liner in it anyway???

Thanks
Yes absolutely it needs cleaned really well.