Newbie Here!! New to me quadra fire insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freefall_Doug

Hearth Supporter
My new to me house came with a pretty nice quadra fire insert. It is an older model with manual controls, and a blower that plugs in with an external power cord. But it looks like a really nice unit.

We used it a bit last year but not as much as I wanted, first the seasoned wood we purchased wasn't seasoned so I worried about burning with it, and second I really wanted to get a good look down the chimney and take a look at things.

The greener wood was harder starting, and it seem like the chimney didn't have a great draft until the fire was really roaring. The door to the insert had to be partially open to get a fire going, and when I shut the door before I had strong fire it would go or smolder. It doesn't seem like the insert is breathing right.

When I open the firebox, even with a pretty decent fire I get smoke spilling out.

Yesterday I got on the roof and took a look a did a little brushing.

The chimney had a terracotta liner. The insert has a stainless steel flexible pipe that goes a bit into the chimney. It fits the internet descriptions of a direct connect installation. There was a moderate amount of creosote.

Since there wasn't a liner going all the way to the top of the chimney I am guessing I will have to pull the insert out to finish cleaning the chimney. Honestly I have no idea where to start but I am guessing the surround comes off and then it should be easy to think my way through from there.

What about servicing the insert while it is out? I would like to inspect to see if the two controlls are actually correctly hooked up. Maybe that might explain why I need to keep the door cracked to start?

I think that a full chimney liner may be in my future, to improve draft, cleaning, and saftey... but for now I would like the finish cleaning the chimney and plan for the upgrade over the winter.

Thanks for the site! Great reading so far!!

What Model Quad insert is it ?
Can you post a picture of it?
You do not need to remove the insert to clean the chimney, if you remove the baffle bricks and the kaowool blanket you can brush right into the stove from the top. When my quad insert was installed they did not go to the top of the chimney with the liner either. I understand a lot of guys still install that way, I would insist on a complete liner today but what I have works for now. I use a 12 in square brush and clean the terracotta liner to the top of the pipe then use the smaller brush to clean the liner into the stove.
Removing the stove will be heavy have some friends. I have removed the shield to get to the sides and back of the insert for inspection but have not removed mine completely in 12 years. to remove the shield I nudge the stove out a little and there is screws on the inside of the shield screwing it to the stove. Then the shield slides up and off. Yours may be slightly different.
Using dry wood makes all of the difference here, if you are having issues use a few pieces of 2X lumber or go get a bundle of kiln dried firewood at the store and try it out.

The blower cords are all plug in type the new and old, so because it has a cord does not make it old.

Once you get the hang of the stove you will enjoy the warmth.

What dimension is the terracotta liner?

I guess that would have made perfect sense to measure that while I was up there with the cap off!!

I believe it is around 9X12 from memory. I will have to get back up on the roof and measure the ID.

Regarding the model, I am not sure but I can get pictures...

Are there serial number or information tags on the insert somewhere, possibly covered or hidden by the surround?

The serial number tag was on the right side behind the surround. It was a paper tag and pretty fragile when I looked at it last year.
You can go to the web site and determine which one you have they only make three I believe.

I suspect the stove wants a 6" flue, but need to know the model. If this is so, with a 9 x 12 flue, there isn't enough pull on the chimney until it gets warm. A stainless liner will help the stove draft better and it will be easier to clean. Plan on this soon, before the snow is on the roof.

I will have to get on the roof and measure how tall the chimney is, but is there a ballpark that a stainless steel liner, with insulation would cost if self installed?

I may have to settle for cleaning the stove midway through the season and dealing with the poor draft for now. Expenses are tight lately, but I can find time to clean midway through the season to keep things safe until I can fund the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.