Newbie here, almost a newbie to woodstovin' (updated w/pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Backwoods said:
I'm down with burning 24/7. Different story for the ol' lady. It'll take alittle time for her to "okay" running when we are at work. Don't get me wrong, shes as woodswoman as they get, (peakbagging, and tent camping in -5 deg nights, roll a quad like its going outta style, and pull up a muskie in under 1000 casts), but gotta get through a couple "safe" nights first. :coolsmirk:

Burning that stove while you are gone is no different from burning the stove while you are home. Also is no different from burning when you are asleep. I like to think of it in terms of that oil burner you have. You have no problem running that while gone and that thing throws a lot more heat than your wood stove will. All you need is a day or two while you are at the house to see what happens. Weekends are a good time to stoke the stove as you would when you are leaving. Take that time to see how the stove does and how warm it gets the house.

Sounds like you have a woman who can be very comfortable with wood heat.

Also, now is the time to get next year's wood put up. Better yet, the year after next. 2-3 years ahead is fantastic and will take care of almost all problems wood burners have.

I'm getting there on the wood. Lots to go. I'm the type where I leave the chainsaw in the jeep, whenever a good scrounge comes up.

Ah, having that saw with you will make a good difference.

I have around 2 cords of ash and oak a previously mentioned that is completely seasoned, but I am worried that I don't have enough for this winter. Is anything that may be on the woods floor seasoned already? Like a tree thats been down for a couple years, but isn't rotten, or maybe a standing dead tree?

Look for something that is down or maybe something standing but the bark is off. Again, the bottom of the tree is best left for next year.

Also, if something has fallen but has fallen unto something else so the wood is not touching the ground, you've found some really good wood. If it has been laying flat on the ground, there is a good chance it is already turning punky wand will be no good.

Backwoods Savage said:
Look for something that is down or maybe something standing but the bark is off. Again, the bottom of the tree is best left for next year.

Also, if something has fallen but has fallen unto something else so the wood is not touching the ground, you've found some really good wood. If it has been laying flat on the ground, there is a good chance it is already turning punky wand will be no good.

...but be sure to check.

[Hearth.com] Newbie here, almost a newbie to woodstovin'   (updated w/pics)
I'm new at uploading pictures so bear with me. I do everything on mobile. Lets see if the woodshed comes up

Heres my outdoor fireplace, that sits above a 40' cliff. Plenty of wood at the bottom, but to heave it back up...no thx!

Stack of smaller storm damage stuff. Planning on going out with the chainsaw on the hunt for mostly seasoned stuff. Need to get a wagon for the quad.

Very scenic area and great pics! Thanx for posting!

Ray

WoodNStuff said:
Backwoods said:
I'm new at uploading pictures so bear with me. I do everything on mobile. Lets see if the woodshed comes up

Sharp wood shed. I like the roofing. Is that metal?
I wanted metal, none around, so I picked up a epdm type hardened material. It was around 20 per sheet at lowes.

Heres the boring spot where the new stove will be placed. ...

Looks like you are surrounded by BTUs,
Lots of Oak by the leaves.
Nice wood shed.
Great pictures.
Stove location needs some work :lol:

Nah Dave, it's kinda like one of those optical illusion things. If you stare at the future home of the 400 long enough, it materializes right before your eyes.
Really, try it. I did.
But, ...that's me and I'm bored today. :lol:
Backwoods, great shed and surrounds, and welcome to the Hearth!

If I was good at photo cut & pasting, I'd put the stove in the pic :)
I think it is going to look great in that location. I know we are not near as excited about a stove being there as BW is. :)

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Newbie here, almost a newbie to woodstovin'   (updated w/pics)
    F400_BBE_int.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 244
What are you guys talking about. The stove, its right there! Don't you see it?

Backwoods said:

WE DO. WE REALLY DO.
It just don't put off the heat we expected :lol: LOL

bogydave said:
Backwoods said:

WE DO. WE REALLY DO.
bogydave, consider it done...

You guys just aren't looking hard enough. It IS right there. Just needs some pipes but it's there. Jotul F400

Backwoods, I figured if you weren't going to post a picture of the brochure in the corner, I'd do it for you. %-P

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Newbie here, almost a newbie to woodstovin'   (updated w/pics)
    corner with stove.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 244
WoodpileOCD said:
bogydave said:
Backwoods said:

WE DO. WE REALLY DO.
bogydave, consider it done...

You guys just aren't looking hard enough. It IS right there. Just needs some pipes but it's there. Jotul F400

Backwoods, I figured if you weren't going to post a picture of the brochure in the corner, I'd do it for you. %-P

Awesome,
now I can feel the heat :)

Jotuls look good wherever you put them.. Good job adding the stove there OCD!

Ray

raybonz said:
Jotuls look good wherever you put them.. Good job adding the stove there OCD!

Ray

Thanks Ray. Photography is one of my hobby/passions so I play in PS a bit. Besides I had to give Backwoods some incentive to get this install rolling. %-P

Hey, thats not bad at all. Do u think you can add the pipe and the american panel "montana flagstone" hearth pad to it nice job.. ;-)

OK, now your really pushing it. Especially for a newcomer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.