Newbie Air control questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
Stove seems to be burning and running great. Starts great and always completely burns, I'm happy.
I’ve been reading, but couldn’t get some questions answered about the air control. Am I right in assuming that I should try to get the incoming air reduced as soon as possible?

In my mind, if the fire is going good and I can reduce the air, the more heat I’ll get. I have great draft (25’ insulated liner). I can reduced the air all the way down and still get a good burn. Is this OK?

My second question is should I keep the air down to keep the heat with just coals? If I don’t want to load up the stove before I leave in the morning, is it best to keep the air down to maximize the life of the coals?

Yes, you'll want to reduce the air as the fire allows. For me, once winter really comes, I reduce my air all the way and just let it run there.

As for coals, it depends on what you want. You can keep it low with the coals. Or, if you want to get a little more heat out of them and/or burn them down, you can start opening up the air.

If it helps at all, check out the link in my signature.

Stove seems to be burning and running great. Starts great and always completely burns, I'm happy.
I’ve been reading, but couldn’t get some questions answered about the air control. Am I right in assuming that I should try to get the incoming air reduced as soon as possible? In an ideal world where you are trying to be most efficient . . . sure . . . but in the real world it really depends on the fire, local conditions, etc. I start cutting back on the air when the temp dictates that I can . . . but I'm not super fussy about doing it right when the temp is reached. Sometimes I let it run a bit hotter before I cut back the air.

In my mind, if the fire is going good and I can reduce the air, the more heat I’ll get. I have great draft (25’ insulated liner). I can reduced the air all the way down and still get a good burn. Is this OK? Generally . . . yes. A good draft and well seasoned wood helps. In my home in the winter I can also cut down the air and everything is burning A OK.

My second question is should I keep the air down to keep the heat with just coals? If I don’t want to load up the stove before I leave in the morning, is it best to keep the air down to maximize the life of the coals? Depends. Once I dial down the air I leave it there until it's time to reload . . . and then I open it up again. About the only time I would open up the air with coals is if I am trying to burn down some coals.

Thanks.
I seem to get a good burn with it closed all the way. The owners manual says not to run with it closed. It says open 1/16”. I have no idea how anyone would be able to judge that.
Newbie Air control questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RyanMcD
If your draft is strong then the stove may work fine with the control all the way closed. Note that this may change corresponding to outdoor temps. Colder temps will increase draft.

Reactions: RyanMcD
Thanks.
I seem to get a good burn with it closed all the way. The owners manual says not to run with it closed. It says open 1/16”. I have no idea how anyone would be able to judge that.

With a light tap of course ;).

1/16" really isn't going to make too much of a difference in burn time, it'll just supply a little extra air which can be useful just to help keep things humming along. As temps get colder though and stronger draft is produced as a result, you'll probably want to close it all the way if you're already getting good burns. But since it will be colder, you'll probably want more heat out of it, which means opening it up a little bit at the coaling stage.