newbie advice on insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johnyburn

Nov 11, 2019
Dayton, OH
I want to replace an old insert. Locally, I can get Quadra-fire, Vermont Casting, Napoleon, and Buck Stoves. In the next city, I can get Pacific Energy, Regency, and Jotul. I like the Pacific Energy based on reviews- ease of use and an efficient non-catalytic system- but am thinking that shopping local might be better for service.

My chimney is on the outer wall; the house is a custom ranch built in 1980. I would like an insert that will heat at least the family room without electricity in case of an outage. Simple and forgiving is good.

Can anyone advise me on these brands? And if anyone has experience with dealers in the Dayton/Cincinnati area, could you PM me if this is appropriate?

Thanks

I think this depends on what your setup is. Do you have a SS Liner? How tall is your chimney?
What is your budget? I know you said non-cat for simplicity, however the nice thing about CAT stoves is they are super efficient and can go for hours without electricity for blowers etc. Is the heart big enough to accept a stove vs an Insert? Etc... Stoves are going to radiate more heat and would be a great option if you can go with one.

If you can get Buck I'd look into one of their Cat stoves, and after looking it looks like you have a few Blaze King dealers/installers within 50 miles, (closest being 14.5) A princess would be really nice as well.

Ranch chimneys can be on the short side so its height is important. If it is under 15' the insert may underperform. Buck and PE inserts are a bit more forgiving of shorter chimneys. KISS design is nice for both operation and maintaining the stove. Regardless of stove choice, they are all going to want fully seasoned firewood to burn well. Given that this is an exterior chimney, insist on having an insulated ss liner installed with an insulated blockoff plate at the damper area. If there is room in the fireplace, insulating the back wall and sides will further improve the heat output of the insert.

Not familiar with your area, but I am with PE inserts :)

Never had service done by my dealer (out of business any how).

Every time I've done maintenance, I've purchased what ever I've needed on line / via telephone. Tom Oyun @thechimneysweep is the bestest I've come across. Handled my in warranty fan replacement for me, it was a piece of cake. Door gaskets, another fan assembly (service your fan, much importante !!), I've gotten all from him. 3000 miles away . ;)

When my door glass broke, and I called him, he referred me to an online company that was wayyyyyy less expensive than buying the glass through PE. He also a few years ago recommended another company for inexpensive fire bricks :cool:

Oh, and my 11 year old insert was just seriously over hauled for the first time this fall, aside from door gaskets & bricks. It got new door gaskets, door glass (broke, don't know how), door glass gasket, blower / fan/ ac cord assy, and a new handle, and as I type, it's singing like Freddie Mercury >>

Welcome to the forums !!