New Vermont Castings Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 25, 2012
Eastern Tennessee
It's been a good while since I've been here, but I need some information and I know this readership has a lot to share.

I have a good friend who just bought a new VC Defiant for their home. It's not completely installed as yet and I would like to know if VC has cleaned up their act. Years ago we had a very bad experience with one that was a ZC and subsequently went to a Quadrafire 7100 ZC unit that we love.

I am hoping that my friend hasn't made a mistake so I need some feedback from you who have a current model. I want to help her as much as possible and BTW I did suggest that they join this forum for the wealth of information on it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

The quality of the refractory has improved, which should reduce frequency of replacement. It's still a more complex stove than many, so more moving parts and a bit more work to clean. That said, VC castings are excellent and it is a great looking stove.