New used tractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fishki

Jan 5, 2017
SE Kansas
Picked up this D180 Allis Chalmers with loader for the low low price of $2555.00... Nothing wrong with it that I can find, starts and runs great, no oil or fuel leaks, doesn't smoke, starts on first crank. Time to take it out in the woods.

New used tractor

Looks like a good find & a valuable tool for your wood gathering. My uncle had a 185, the only problem with it was it didn’t have live power to the pto but I’m guessing that if your using it for skidding & loading that won’t be a problem. Looks like you need a set of forks for it also.

Last edited:
Nice. Are rear tires filled? Back down hills with any load in the bucket, on that 2wd machine.

Reactions: JimBear
Nice. Are rear tires filled? Back down hills with any load in the bucket, on that 2wd machine.
I believe that there are bolt on wheel weights you can get. If I remember correctly you can bolt to interior & the exterior. If a person doesn’t want to put fluid in the tires. I would go with weights as the fluid is nasty to work with when you have flats & corrosive to the rims but it’s operator preference.

I believe that there are bolt on wheel weights you can get. If I remember correctly you can bolt to interior & the exterior. If a person doesn’t want to put fluid in the tires. I would go with weights as the fluid is nasty to work with when you have flats & corrosive to the rims but it’s operator preference.
Many run both weights and fluid, and there are several non-corrosive fills available today. Weights may be 75 - 150 lb. per set, but filled tires may be 600 - 700 lb. of extra weight on that size wheel.

I run weights and a ballast box on mine, since I didn't want to have filled tires on the lawn when I'm spreading fertilizer, but I'd just fill the tires it if I were running those ags. I have to be very careful on my machine, even with the wheel weights.

Nice size tractor dude! Perfect for gathering, and good hp too. Like the old stuff. Keep your eyes open for some chains on CL for it, and you can get through the junk with it if need be.

Looks like a good find & a valuable tool for your wood gathering. My uncle had a 185, the only problem with it was it didn’t have live power to the pto but I’m guessing that if your using it for skidding & loading that won’t be a problem. Looks like you need a set of forks for it also.

No live pto on the 180, but really only using for skidding and loading, looking at these 4000# bolt on forks from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EER7ZA/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Wishing the tires were filled but they are not, no weights either. A neighbor of mine works for a tire company and drives the truck around taking care of all the farmers. I might go grab a 12 pack and give him a visit, he takes the truck home at night :)

Nice size tractor dude! Perfect for gathering, and good hp too. Like the old stuff. Keep your eyes open for some chains on CL for it, and you can get through the junk with it if need be.

I love the older farm equipment, grew up on a farm. Had an old Oliver Super 77 that I drug out of the bone pile and got running again, used to putter around on that thing all day ;lol

No live pto on the 180, but really only using for skidding and loading, looking at these 4000# bolt on forks from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EER7ZA/?tag=hearthamazon-20
Does that loader have a quik tach for the bucket? It looks like it may be an older unit that are a PIA to change out bucket/forks. If it has the quik tach I would just buy a set bale forks for it. I have also seen where people have welded tubes on the inside of the bucket & then slide the forks in/out as needed, using bolts to hold the forks in. Most bale spear attachments for loaders just use 5/16” - 3/8” bolts thru the back to hold them on. Don’t mock my artwork it’s a rough draft. Those amazon units look sort of unreliable to me but maybe there are some folks on here that have experience with them.

Attachments

• New used tractor
    9F9DFEBE-2EAF-4639-8D5B-65BB4E984A0F.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
I love the older farm equipment, grew up on a farm. Had an old Oliver Super 77 that I drug out of the bone pile and got running again, used to putter around on that thing all day

Oliver are my favorite brand of old tractor. Love em.

Reactions: fishki
Does that loader have a quik tach for the bucket? It looks like it may be an older unit that are a PIA to change out bucket/forks. If it has the quik tach I would just buy a set bale forks for it. I have also seen where people have welded tubes on the inside of the bucket & then slide the forks in/out as needed, using bolts to hold the forks in. Most bale spear attachments for loaders just use 5/16” - 3/8” bolts thru the back to hold them on. Don’t mock my artwork it’s a rough draft. Those amazon units look sort of unreliable to me but maybe there are some folks on here that have experience with them.

No quick attach, but looking at the bucket it seems someone has bolted in forks before as there are sets of holes cut in on both sides, looks like half inch bolt size. I will probably just make a set myself and bolt them in.

Also considering building a short jib with a clamp so I can take off the bucket and load my mill easier, this will require adding more hydraulics as tractor only has 2 spools. I can get a 12 gpm 4 spool dbl acting from northern for 200 bucks, this will let me rotate clamp also.

Reactions: JimBear
No quick attach, but looking at the bucket it seems someone has bolted in forks before as there are sets of holes cut in on both sides, looks like half inch bolt size. I will probably just make a set myself and bolt them in.
Awful small bolt, but most of the time you see bolt holes in the bucket sides, it’s for attaching a tooth bar. I’ve never seen one use a bolt that small, but a google search does turn some up.

New used tractor