New to wood boiler have a question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hinow41

Nov 20, 2013
Riverhead, NY
Hey everyone I have an old Buderus Logano It hasn't been used in years. My friend helped me clean it up brush everything out and now I have been using it. Mostly I light it up at night and let it burn out around 10am and let my oil boiler take over for the day. I have a stove pipe thermometer and at night when I try and get a slow burn to last longer Im around the 200* zone. My question is if im only really burning at night and doing a slow burn will this cause creosote to build up quicker? If so what action should I take to keep it under control?
Heres a pic of the old girl

Slow burns make creosote, yes. Any time the draft door is closed & there is a fire on, creaoste is being made. Make sure you very regularly check your chimney for buildup & keep it clean. Wood quality is also a big factor.

So dry wood, and loading for the heat load are key. That might require more frequent, smaller fires.

Also, if you are using a magentic stick-on type thermometer for flue temps, they read way low. Internal temps measured with a probe type thermometer on mine are about 100c more than the stick-on.

The Logano caught my eye early in my looking, looked like it had good heat transfer potential. Keep posted on how it does. It would also likely benefit greatly from storage if that could be done.

Reactions: BoilerMan
Thanks for the reply. I am using a magnetic stick on thermometer guess I should get something better lol.
The logano seams like its nice (this is my first couple weeks using it) My family has had it for years my father used it. After he passed no one would touch it. Wish it was a modern unit so I can get longer burns, but it works for now.

Had a boiler similar to yours 30 plus years ago, and for amusement sake, will call it from the dark side or prehistoric times of wood burning when matched to today's gasification units coupled to adequate storage.

These types of boilers have a firebox that is surrounded by water so that water surrounding the metal walls of fire box is cool comparatively when you think of 1,200 F needed for gasification or the burning of smoke to begin. With the cool walls of the firebox, you get a very low temperature fire that is very inefficient. The unburnt tars and resins stick to the low temperature walls of the fire box and with cool stack temperatures, also stick to the inside of the chimney.
You can lower the production of the creosote a small amount by using a boiler protection valve. The boiler protection valve can maintain the water inside the boiler at 170F. Cold return water is not allowed back into the boiler unless boiler water temperature is 170F or more. If boiler water temperatures drop below 140F, things really start to get bad for making creosote.

These are 3 pages of the Jetstream manual on clean combustion and heat storage.
The old Jetstream with storage will burn 75% less wood doing the same job that the old prehistoric boiler will burn.
Your old style boiler will teach you a lot and the positive side is that it is installed and operational.

Attachments

• pg 8 - 10.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 154
Hey everyone I have an old Buderus Logano It hasn't been used in years. My friend helped me clean it up brush everything out and now I have been using it. Mostly I light it up at night and let it burn out around 10am and let my oil boiler take over for the day. I have a stove pipe thermometer and at night when I try and get a slow burn to last longer Im around the 200* zone. My question is if im only really burning at night and doing a slow burn will this cause creosote to build up quicker? If so what action should I take to keep it under control?
Heres a pic of the old girl

I have been using a boiler like yours for over 30 years, looks like yours lit off when the picture was taken. That window on the door should be closed when lit off. At the back of your boiler is a supply and return. What is that pipe coming out the front of the boiler for. where does it go?

That boiler might be primitive but it will treat you right if you take care of it. It would be interesting to see how you have it plumbed into your other boiler system.

I have been using a boiler like yours for over 30 years, looks like yours lit off when the picture was taken. That window on the door should be closed when lit off. At the back of your boiler is a supply and return. What is that pipe coming out the front of the boiler for. where does it go?

That boiler might be primitive but it will treat you right if you take care of it. It would be interesting to see how you have it plumbed into your other boiler system.

I do keep the viewing window closed, I was checking the fire and thought heck i'll take a pick.
Took some more pics to show you. Not 100% how its hooked up. I know thats bad but im still learning. The manufacturer plate says it was made in 1979, 10 years older then me and about 8 years older then the house. My Dad got it and hooked it up himself years ago. The front pipe is the hot water out it goes down the side and then up into the hot line out of the oil boiler. The water in line is in the back you can see the yellow pump. The green boiler is my oil one. Hope this helps a bit. Oh and the black marks on the floor are stains I can seam to get up.

I do keep the viewing window closed, I was checking the fire and thought heck i'll take a pick.
Took some more pics to show you. Not 100% how its hooked up. I know thats bad but im still learning. The manufacturer plate says it was made in 1979, 10 years older then me and about 8 years older then the house. My Dad got it and hooked it up himself years ago. The front pipe is the hot water out it goes down the side and then up into the hot line out of the oil boiler. The water in line is in the back you can see the yellow pump. The green boiler is my oil one. Hope this helps a bit. Oh and the black marks on the floor are stains I can seam to get up.

The front of the boiler is where back in the 80's they put a pressure, temperature gauge. The supply out is in the back of the boiler at the top where there is a pipe plug. A new Buderus today they have a pipe made up that goes at the back of the boiler that has the temperature gauge and a pressure gauge, maybe something else. When I re-plumb mine I am going to move some things back there. Your dad plumbed it a little different but it must have done what he wanted it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.