New to me Hearthstone Heritage Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BurntOut

Jan 7, 2020
Wisconsin
Hello everyone, I am a new member and have been reading a ton of info on thi site. Thank you for all of the help and advice that is readily available for newbies like me. I recently took possession of a Hearthstone Heritage 8021 from one of my wife’s coworkers. It wasn’t being used, needed a good cleaning, so we gave it a home. I wanted to share some install pics to show what we have done. So far we have been using the stove for about a week now. It heats main level of our ranch home easily. I get nice secondary burn going as well.
New to me Hearthstone Heritage InstallNew to me Hearthstone Heritage InstallNew to me Hearthstone Heritage InstallNew to me Hearthstone Heritage InstallNew to me Hearthstone Heritage InstallNew to me Hearthstone Heritage InstallNew to me Hearthstone Heritage InstallNew to me Hearthstone Heritage InstallNew to me Hearthstone Heritage Install

Beautiful stove and neat and clean installation. I assume you met all clearances. I have the Mansfield and love it. Don’t mean to be a downer but, leaving the ash door open to get the fire going is a bad practice, too easy to get distracted and forget about it. Just think what would happen if your wife dropped a dish in the kitchen and it broke , then you rush out there to see what happened. You help clean up but holy crap the ash door is still open, the stove goes nuclear.Hopefully it doesn’t happen .

Another observation, don’t put any pots or steamers on the stove top without a trivet . The uneven heating ( pot of water acts as a heat sink) of the stone will crack it.

I found this on the internet
New to me Hearthstone Heritage Install

Thank you for your responses. I did learn about keeping the ash pan door closed after reading several threads on this site. Now I just crack the side door when I'm trying to get an initial draft before closing everything up. I also read about the trivet, there is a small one under that pot, just not visible to the eye in the picture. So far we have really enjoyed this stove. It got down to -15 last night here in Wisconsin. I loaded the stove at 11 pm and cut the air down shortly after. It was still 67 in the house when I got up this morning, and had a nice bed of coals to get another fire going.

I put 30 cords through the same stove that I bought new in about 2007. I kept tabs on temperature because the hearthstone company put a redline of 550 on this stove which is pretty cool. Lots of folks overheat these stoves and crack them or melt the iron support skeleton system.

Hearthstone sent me a kettle made of soapstone which was pretty but there is really no reason to keep a pot on the stove. They don't make much steam anyway and they definitely can leave a mark on those pretty stones.

Don't chuck wood in and keep temps legal and you should be in good shape. Oh and be careful not to break the firebox roof baffle. It's fragile.

Reactions: electrathon
Looks nice. I do have to ask. Why is your hearth pad so offset? Curious. Welcome to the site.

Looks nice. I do have to ask. Why is your hearth pad so offset? Curious. Welcome to the site.
Prob required for the side door

Reactions: moresnow
The side door is awesome on such a wide and shallow stove. Nobody likes chucking wood in sideways. Like a front door, the side door requires that 16" clearance plus it's just nice to have room to work on the loading side.