New to me Fisher woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I should have taken a picture of the croc. It was so nice and round and smooth like the inside of a brake drum. Yes that diagram is exactly what I saw. At least they knew what they were doing when built.

Being the house it this old, it would have went up in smoke long ago, well before my time if something was wrong with that chimney. It is 37 feet from the top if chimney on roof to clean out in basement.
No that is not true there is a process called pyrolisis that takes place in wood that is exposed to elevated temps over time. That process slowly lowers the ignition point of that wood. It can get to a point that in a chimney fire can ignite that wood. In addition that chimney has been deteriorating for all of those years as well. The mortar in the joints between the clay tiles erodes away allowing creosote to send through putting combustibles even closer.

I am not saying anything is nessecarily wrong with your chimney or crock because I don't know I am not there looking at it. I am just telling you that problems are very common in these areas and assuming it is fine because nothing has happened yet is very dangerous.

With heat shield you see in picture, top of stove pipe is 6.25 inches from bottom of mantle.
Ok so with a wider heat sheild you will be in good shape.

Reactions: tomseal6
Its been a while. Sure is cold at night in the U.P. That grandpa bear will roast you out the house when its 0 outside.

I always have the dials turned down to only 1/2 turn out. The stove just works.

Right now I have the dials opened to burn out hot coals so I can fill it for the night.

Reactions: Todd67
I forgot to mention that the damper on stove is 1/2 closed and running dials 1/2 turn open.

Good seasoned wood burning temp gauge on stove is around 450 deg.

Sure is nice to stir up hot coals in the morning and open the dials for rooms to warm up again which gives me time to reload.

Once a week I clean the ashes out with a flat head shovel into a 5 gal. steel bucket.

This entire operation has proved to be very reliable over and over.

Reactions: Todd67
Does anybody know if ironwood is good to burn? I think it is ash. Very tough and burns hot.

Does it provide a long burn time when seasoned?

I've never heard anyone complain about burning ironwood. I have no personal experience with it, and I have no idea what kind of burn times you can expect with it.