New to forums, new to wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

newwoodinsert

Sep 28, 2011
Rochester, NY
Hi all. I've been lurking since April when I decided we couldn't keep sending money up the chimney with oil heat. I've spent a lot of time on here, reading your wisdom. We had a stove company come out and measure, etc., and help us figure out what we can do with our space. After getting their estimate, we talked to very handy family members (who have installed their own stoves and inserts). We started looking for used inserts. This week, we bought a 2009 Lopi Revere Insert. It had been used for 1 season before the owner switched to coal. We got it for $750 and are super excited! We'll be ordering a chimney liner soon and all the other accesories we need (gloves, ash bucket, moisture meter, etc.)

Our house is a 1960 ranch, 2191 sqft. We are planning on using the insert to hopefully heat everything but the bedrooms (living room, den, kitchen), and we have an open floor plan with 3 heating zones (the oil heat has 3 different thermostats). We have an internal masonry chimney that we will line.

I am thrilled to be beginning this journey, and I've been reading your reviews as well as the stickies, etc. I will post pictures of our layout and the install, once it is done (hopefully by the end of October). We have family who burn wood, obviously, but we've never done it ourselves. I know we'll have a learning curve, but I'm committed.

By the way, we live in the Rochester, NY area. Anyone else around there?

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you for all your help. I'm looking forward to learning more and maybe some day knowing enough to share a little myself.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the new lifestyle.

Welcome newwood. The Revere is a nice unit...quality too. I was considering it, but due to hearth clearances and layout of stove room I needed something more flush. Anyhow, couple of suggestions for ya. If your family members are handy and are willing to help, do the install yourselves. You'll work and install overly precautious while saving a lot of money. Continue researching here and know the manual by the back of your hand. You can get it off of Travis' website.Ask a lot of questions here. The members will help you. Insulate your liner. Magnaflex makes a liner that is already insulated at a great price. There is a member here who can help you with the purchase. PM me if you want it. A block-off plate is a must...search it here. Items such as sheet metal, sheet metal screws, high heat silicone & regular, kaowool insulation, furnace cement and a boat load of tools. Congrats on the purchase and good luck.

Welcome home. You probably are aware of how addicting woodburning can become so enjoy the ride.

I've got the same insert - you're gonna love it!

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the world of wooburning! I have been burning wood for quite a few years now, but have just recently joined this site......this is a great place for advise, expertise, and well seasoned opinions.....but these guys on here know their stuff and are always willing to lend a hand if you lend an ear...good luck with your install, keep us posted!!

newwoodinsert said:
Hi all. I've been lurking since April when I decided we couldn't keep sending money up the chimney with oil heat. I've spent a lot of time on here, reading your wisdom. We had a stove company come out and measure, etc., and help us figure out what we can do with our space. After getting their estimate, we talked to very handy family members (who have installed their own stoves and inserts). We started looking for used inserts. This week, we bought a 2009 Lopi Revere Insert. It had been used for 1 season before the owner switched to coal. We got it for $750 and are super excited! We'll be ordering a chimney liner soon and all the other accesories we need (gloves, ash bucket, moisture meter, etc.)

Our house is a 1960 ranch, 2191 sqft. We are planning on using the insert to hopefully heat everything but the bedrooms (living room, den, kitchen), and we have an open floor plan with 3 heating zones (the oil heat has 3 different thermostats). We have an internal masonry chimney that we will line.

I am thrilled to be beginning this journey, and I've been reading your reviews as well as the stickies, etc. I will post pictures of our layout and the install, once it is done (hopefully by the end of October). We have family who burn wood, obviously, but we've never done it ourselves. I know we'll have a learning curve, but I'm committed.

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you for all your help. I'm looking forward to learning more and maybe some day knowing enough to share a little myself.

Welcome to the forum NWI and congrats on the Lopi insert!Sounds like you got a very good deal on that insert too!

Good Luck!

Ray

Welcome.
I guess I,ll be the first to mention this. Seasoned wood is very important. If you havent yet, do a search and read up on seasoned wood.
Good luck

Welcome to the forum, you have no idea what yu just got yourself into. If you are anythng like most of us, this wood burning thing, will become an addiction. You will start asking yourself these questions...

As you drive down the road, you will see a pile of logs and think... I don't see a chimney on that house.. I wonder if they would like me to clean up that mess for them ??? and....

On a Saturday morning when you are enjoying your coffee and you hear a chainsaw... Now where is that coming from? I have to see what they are doing with the wood... and....

Next time you go to get a box of nails at the hardware store you will find yourself in the saw dept. saying... Can I justify ANOTHER saw ????? and.....

You will love the look on the oil mans face when he comes to fill up and you only need say 20 or 30 gals !!!!

These are just the first signs of being a woodburner.
We are all enablers here, ask all your questions, be ready for a couple barbs to be thrown at you (all in good fun), and stay warm.

Shawn

Does the inset come with than fan accessory? It looks like your going to get a quality unit at a great price but I would spring for the fan if you had to. I am very happy with my Lopi. When I look at it compared to a lot of other products, you can see very well built product.

Wow, Shawnee. Everything you posted has happened to me within 5 months of starting this journey with one exception, the oil man. I am looking forward to when the power company wants to replace my meter because they think it's broken.

fv

shawneyboy said:
Welcome to the forum, you have no idea what yu just got yourself into. If you are anythng like most of us, this wood burning thing, will become an addiction. You will start asking yourself these questions...

As you drive down the road, you will see a pile of logs and think... I don't see a chimney on that house.. I wonder if they would like me to clean up that mess for them ??? and....

On a Saturday morning when you are enjoying your coffee and you hear a chainsaw... Now where is that coming from? I have to see what they are doing with the wood... and....

Next time you go to get a box of nails at the hardware store you will find yourself in the saw dept. saying... Can I justify ANOTHER saw ????? and.....

You will love the look on the oil mans face when he comes to fill up and you only need say 20 or 30 gals !!!!

These are just the first signs of being a woodburner.
We are all enablers here, ask all your questions, be ready for a couple barbs to be thrown at you (all in good fun), and stay warm.

Yuppers....And welcome....

Shawn

Welcome and sounds like you got a great deal! Start getting a few years ahead on wood and you'll be in great shape - let us know how it works for you. Cheers!

Blue Vomit said:
Welcome.
I guess I,ll be the first to mention this. Seasoned wood is very important. If you havent yet, do a search and read up on seasoned wood.
Good luck

Exactly what I was thinking. Not trying to rain on your parade , but the dryness [seasoned] of the wood that you put in the stove is the KEY. Welcome and enjoy your new stove.

Thanks for all the welcomes! In addition to all your advice, I've been reading "The Woodburner's Companion" by Dirk Thomas. It says that according to some agency whose name escapes me (chimney sweeps?), wood moisture should be b/w 15 and 20%, and I've got a good rated moisture meter. Planning to overbuy this year (hopefully) and do that each year for the next couple of years to build up the stock pile so it is well seasoned. We have a blower that was used with our old firebox (that we still need to remove). It won't quite fit with the Revere, but we'll try it w/o it first, then maybe see if we can refit our old blower. If that doesn't work, we will definitely get the one that is made for it. Had to turn the heat on today (45 outside and rain all day), and all I could think was that I couldn't wait till I could build a fire.

newwoodinsert said:
Thanks for all the welcomes! In addition to all your advice, I've been reading "The Woodburner's Companion" by Dirk Thomas. It says that according to some agency whose name escapes me (chimney sweeps?), wood moisture should be b/w 15 and 20%, and I've got a good rated moisture meter. Planning to overbuy this year (hopefully) and do that each year for the next couple of years to build up the stock pile so it is well seasoned. We have a blower that was used with our old firebox (that we still need to remove). It won't quite fit with the Revere, but we'll try it w/o it first, then maybe see if we can refit our old blower. If that doesn't work, we will definitely get the one that is made for it. Had to turn the heat on today (45 outside and rain all day), and all I could think was that I couldn't wait till I could build a fire.

Sounds like you've learned alot! You're gonna be just fine I can see that!

Ray

newwoodinsert said:

Hi! I'm from Alabama, NY.
Right near Batavia.
I just made a road trip through Rochester today to go out to Syracuse and pick up my stove from Fireside Chatts near Syracuse!
The store is actually run by a member on these forums (Franks is his username)

If you ever need anything, I highhhhly recommend talking with him as he's pretty close by you and knows his stuff.
I'll be writing up a bit about it the trip later with some pictures :)

On the way back I went through Webster to pick up a drywall lift, then back home.
There's quite a few of us from the WNY area on here.

newwoodinsert said:

When the sickness sets in don't go to the doctor, just come back here for help! :vampire: Welcome to the board.

zap

Good luck. Its a lot of work but there's nothing like it. Sounds like you've got a pretty good setup compared to some (myself included) so your learning curve may not be so steep. After you get done with the accessories the only thing that's going to matter is the wood. Burning wood is primal, like soup. It will change you, however, in ways not intended.

Last week we were in the car and had to stop for some utility workers trimming trees when I started whistling and howling towards the side of the road. My wife yelled at me "they're like 15 years old you pervert!". I had to correct her: "Not the girls you blasted female, LOOK AT ALL THAT FIREWOOD!"

Status
Not open for further replies.