New thermocouple fail on Quad Mt. Vernon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rickster

Hearth Supporter
Jul 19, 2008
CT
Hi Guys,

After 9 years of service my thermocouple on my Quad Mt. Vernon finally went bad. I replaced it with a factory part, and it worked fine for about a week. Then I noticed blobs of melted red plastic in the ash pan during clean outs. Started getting bad TC errors and stove shutdowns soon after. Pulled the new thermocouple, and noticed the plastic insulator had melted off the part. Why did this happen? Pretty sure I installed it properly!

Have you had any misfires that would of put a fire in the ashpan? Only thing I can think of that would melt this. I do have a feeler out to see if any other issues like this have happened. Did a how to paper come with the thermocouple, explaining how it was suppose to be installed,esp. if a new hole needed to be drilled? kap

Last edited:
Have you had any misfires that would of put a fire in the ashpan? Only thing I can think of that would melt this. I do have a feeler out to see if any other issues like this have happened. Did a how to paper come with the thermocoupe, explaining how it was suppose to be installed,esp. if a new hole needed to be drilled? kap
No instructions. I think you're right, it must have been a fire in the ashpan from a too-slow startup, but this has happened before without incident. Must be my good luck this year with this stove. :confused:

Seems to always be the way with most of us. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, and Tonto too.;)

Well, picked up another thermocouple from the nearest quad dealer, the stove is running fine now.
Interesting, this version of the part has no red plastic sleeve. The wire is also twice as thick, with braided metal shielding around it.
Nice to know that I am part of Quadrafires R&D o_O

Anyway, the part number on the updated TC is SRV7034-247 if anyone is interested.

Nice to know it has been improved, even tho my spare is like the one that melted on you:(. Wonder if you could get your money back? :rolleyes: Thanks for the update. kap