New Stove JA Roby Polaris

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Qvist

Burning Hunk
Mar 5, 2019
Eastern Panhandle WV
I have not seen any reviews on the 2020 JA Roby Polaris. So far I like the stove. It's much easier to load wood in than my old stove. It also puts out more heat. My concerns are that the top steel is a bit thin (3/8 inch) and the some smoke comes out the door when stove is cold, but that's normal. When I first got the stove I realized the ceramic blanket wasn't big enough to seal the baffle and the stove wasn't very efficient (smoked) because of it. After adding more ceramic wool around the baffle the stove now burns very cleanly and efficiently.

Attachments

• New Stove JA Roby Polaris
    20201101_173147.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 450
    20201103_213148.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 492
    20201115_220705.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 408
Thanks for the update. They seem like a Canadian value line that could use a little more QC.

Does your connector pipe have a 90 in it going to the masonry chimney by chance? Changing that to 2x45's may help with the smoke. Not many reviews here on those stove's. Nice to see.

Cat approved!

JA ROBY stoves have always been interesting to look at. They have a few massive stoves that will accept a 25 inch log.

I would like to know how the JA Roby Polaris perform with the cooking before buying it.

I bought a cabin of 13 feet by 13 feet in the wood. I don't want to buy a Cookstove. It's too big.

Thank

What would you like to know? I've cooked a few meals on mine. The cooktop does well. It cooks plenty fast I usually don't need to take the eyes out. Once it gets hot it cooks like the electric range. I usually put some tinfoil around the chimney to keep off the grease when frying. I moved my thermometer up on the chimney to keep it out of the way.

20201115_220705.jpg 20201112_201419.jpg

Last edited:
What time is brecky?

I love seeing food on the stovetop--just seems right. I didn't take pics, but I had 2 pots of soup on mine tonight which will provide a dinner and a couple lunches for the next week. I did some pancakes this morning as well. I don't worry too much about the pipe. It seems to clean itself, more or less. Nice job!

Grilled cheese and tomato soup is one of my favorite on the wood stove. I got the Polaris because of the eyes. It does cook well. It's basically big firebox cook stove with no oven.

It doesn't make a huge difference but it does make a difference it puts more heat into the pans quicker. I did a test and put two cast iron Dutch ovens on the top with two cups of water in each of them. The one over the open eye boils about 1-1.5 minutes quicker than with the eye closed. It will put spot on the pan bottom.