New stove install probe temp ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ejsechler

May 18, 2016
North East Ohio
So I installed a Drolet HT3000, I have read alot of different threads on here about stove pipe temps so I think I understand where the stove pipe temp should be. I have ran a couple small hot fires to get rid of the smell. I just installed a condor stove temp probe. I built up the fire and let the stove get up to 1000 degrees stove pipe temp. I then backed the air down on the stove and well the stove temp did come down. It is down to about 850 and staying steady there. Is this too hot? My air is turned down as far as it can be turned down. My understanding i want to be somewhere in the 400 -500 range of stove pipe temp. Stove has been running for about 45 minutes and the stove top temp is around 540 degrees.

It sounds like you may have been a bit late in turning down the air, but it also could be the wood being burned or how the stove was loaded. Did you read this thread?

It sounds like you may have been a bit late in turning down the air, but it also could be the wood being burned or how the stove was loaded. Did you read this thread?
I did not read this but I did now. I made a top down fire actually. I couldn't tell you what type of wood I am burning have to much of it. Maple, oak hickory, something hard more then likely. I brought the stove up that high because I am trying to get rid of the nasty new stove smell before winter. So more or less I should start shutting air down once the fire is established and probe is reading around 400 500 degrees?

Yes, try reducing the air sooner. Like when the flue temp is approaching 600º. Close the air in increments by watching the fire. You don't want to snuff out the flames, just make them lazy and then waiting until the flames regain strength before repeating.