New stove. Finally!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

SPD7171

Feb 16, 2015
Ohio
We had our house built 13 years ago and just had a cheap fireplace insert. I didn't know any better at the time. We would burn about 1 cord a year and the wife was tired of being cold or having higher electric bills. This year after saving lots of pennies, I contacted a local installer and got a Pacific Energy Summit Classic LE installed. My wife wanted heat and looks and I think this fits both. I originally wanted the old fireplace ripped out and the new stove in an alcove but the installer said having out in the room would provide more heat and be slightly cheaper to install. I have about 2 cords of seasoned wood but I don't think that's going to be enough to burn the whole winter. Gathering and splitting for next year. Picture of old vs new.

[Hearth.com] New stove.  Finally! [Hearth.com] New stove.  Finally!

Congratulations and good luck!

This forum is a wealth of knowledge. Ask questions.

Best practice is to try to get 3 years ahead on the wood supply to ensure you have dry (seasoned) wood. Learn as much as you can about the new stove and be patient learning how it likes to run. Every stove, flue and environment is different. Low BTU wood that used to be considered worthless for burning can be perfect for shoulder season (spring and fall). The only species I won't take is willow because of the long seasoning time and low BTU's. Find seasoning and BTU charts. I segregate my stacks by similar species.

Reactions: GG Woody
Looks great! ...and I'm on board with your wife: nothing better than being able to toast our buns while enjoying the flames!

Looking good, and dog approved. That will be a major heating improvement.

That is a nice looking stove. Love the color. As the lady of the house I wanted a nice looking stove too. We went with the Jotul Oslo F500 when we built the house 7 years ago.

Reactions: bigealta
Wonderful heater, clean burning, easy to run. Good choice. Stay warm.

If I didnt have the BK, the PE would be next on my list, they look like wonderful, well functioning stoves, you'll have many great winters ahead of you with that machine.