New stove advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

trailrnr

Dec 13, 2014
Michigan
Hello,

This is my 2nd post; 1st was nine years ago when I purchased stove.

So I installed Jotul F3CB in my house (upper Michigan ) in December of 2015. My place is a Cleary post frame building 30 x 48 ( including 6 x 30 porch). Living and garage area 30 x 42 divided equally.
Basically I’m heating 600 sq ft. R 19 in the walls and about R 50 in the attic.

I’ve lived up here full time now for 3 years and thinking of upgrading to a bit larger stove.

Looking at Lopi evergreen (non cat), PE super 27 and just recently a Quadafire 3100.

Quadafire sales guy says 3100 to big for my place.

Any opinions and/or advise appreciated!
TIA

Joe

Ps- I also have propane vented wall furnace and installed some electric baseboard heaters last year. Although they are primarily used to keep place warm when I’m out of town.

A 1.5 cu ft stove would work. That could be something like the PE Vista, or consider the Drolet Deco Nano (Osburn 950).

Take a look at Jotul F35 or Woodstock Keystone/Palladian.

Yes, to the Jotul F35. I thought of mentioning Woodstock stoves, but the request appears to be for non-cats. Otherwise the Fireview could also work.

thank you all for your replies!

Just so I’m clear you guys feel I’d be over doing it with a super 27 or Lopi evergreen ?

Biggest complaint with F3CB is short burn times and small firebox 1.17 I think.

Reactions: Todd
I have a similar build and insulation and love my Kuma Aspen LE not too big not too small.

[Hearth.com] New stove advise [Hearth.com] New stove advise

Reactions: marty319 and Todd

Just so I’m clear you guys feel I’d be over doing it with a super 27 or Lopi evergreen ?

I think somewhere around 1.5-2.0 firebox size should work well for you. You don’t have to use the full firebox every time you load the stove. My Jotul F45 is a bit oversized for my small cabin at 2.37 cu ft and I have no problem burning half loads if needed.

Reactions: all night moe

The Super 27 is a very flexible burner. It can cruise on just four splits for a lower heat fire. It is more comparable to the Lopi Endeavor. The next size down there is the Lopi Answer.

Nice -how many square ft are you heating?

One other question; did you install in floor heating? I did not kinda wish I had that concrete is cold😯

I was close to buying a PE super 27 last winter and then I read some of the posts here where guys were having trouble with temps running away some on the 2020 (later) models. I like the north/south loading feature.

Thanks again for all the input.

Also considered the Lopi evergreen as well. At the time last winter they had a model leftover that qualified for the tax credit . It was non cat unit as well. They were really firm on the price though. I think it was 3600 or there about.

One other question; did you install in floor heating? I did not kinda wish I had that concrete is cold😯
Heating under 1000 square feet probably closer to 6-800 when I shut bedroom and kennel room doors. We do have radiant heat but don't use it we built on an insulated poured foundation so the floors are easy to keep warm with the stove.

Insulating the floor can make a huge difference. I couldn't heat my shop well even when it was only 40 outside. I put down some of that interlocking foam tile and now it's easy to heat.

I was supposed to get 2” foam under my concrete; I realized they didn’t put it in after I had walls built. Cleary blamed it on the concrete sub contractor. They refunded cost of insulation and poured a 10 x 30 slab to appease me. I was not happy.