New Sirocco 30.2 being installed - catalyst is damaged, should I ask for a replacement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

rdrcrmatt

May 9, 2024
Wisconsin
As the title says, the installers are finishing up the install today. The cat still has the tape from shipping on it. I know it is a small spot, but should I ask that this be fixed / replaced? The catalyst shield is still tied to the bottom of the stove with twine. I'm not quite sure how this could have happened in shipping. What are your thoughts?

[Hearth.com] New Sirocco 30.2 being installed - catalyst is damaged, should I ask for a replacement?

Reactions: GG Woody
I’d remove the cat and look at the other side for any other damage but if that’s the only spot I wouldn’t worry about it.

Any more pics?
I ordered a Scirocco 30.2 this week, I told them no hurry, and inside I'm already getting impatient! I'm really excited to see it and touch it...
I wouldn't be too concerned about that bit of damage but I'd surely pass an inquiry along to where you purchased it from.
Good luck, I'm excited about your purchase!

Reactions: Itslay90
I would contact BK, and be gentle; of course it's not supposed to happen, but I don't think it'll be an issue.
Nevertheless, BK might want to know so that they can avoid it from happening again.
Pics of how you found the thing in the stove etc. would be good for reference.

I don't think it's a problem. But I'd let BK decide that.

On the other hand, it looks like the cat frame is a bit rusty? That would be a bit surprising to me.

Anyway, congrats on the install. You can start burning like this without performance being affected in a noticeable way, I think.
If they ship a new cat, it's easy to swap out (they should ship a gasket with it).

Any more pics?
I ordered a Scirocco 30.2 this week, I told them no hurry, and inside I'm already getting impatient! I'm really excited to see it and touch it...
I wouldn't be too concerned about that bit of damage but I'd surely pass an inquiry along to where you purchased it from.
Good luck, I'm excited about your purchase!
touching your stove - you can do that, but only when it's empty ... :p
Congrats.

Be careful that BK doesn’t try and warranty this cat out using your “one free” cat.

Reactions: stoveliker
It won't have any effect at all on performance. You can speak with your dealer. We can log it as freight damage to quell concerns. But, I can assure you a finger probably pressed there during install, just like car radiators can have it happen.

You could also ask dealer to use small screwdriver and bend the metal straight. It's ultra thin and easy forms or in this case deforms.

We're happy to make you happy.

BKVP

Reactions: GG Woody
You could also ask dealer to use small screwdriver and bend the metal straight. It's ultra thin and easy forms or in this case deforms.
I was just about to say, that's exactly how I would go at this. But as BKVP said, not a performance issue, just cosmetical.