New Scrounge .. What type of Oak is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2014
Raleigh, NC
I stopped by a house that had a monster oak taken down. Most of the good wood was gone but still had some pieces that were salvageable. This wood was extremely heavy, and soaking wet. Small narrow leaves with little acorns. The trunk must have been 4-5 ft in diameter. I was able to get a truck load, and headed back tomorrow to get some more. I am thinking this might be a Willow Oak. Educate me...

Yup, willow oak (Quercus phellos). Very common ornamental down south. We northerners don't have funny oaks with no lobes up here, but I've studied up during my handful of trips south of the Mason-Dixon line ;).

Reactions: RockyFordOak78

Load #2 ... Golly this stuff is heavy!!

The trunk is still laying out there. Hope they will let me have what is left after they take their slices to make tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.