New product to control moisture in firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GoodWoodNow

Aug 7, 2024
Cleveland
GoodWoodNow.com is coming soon. The system allows users to control the amount of moisture in their firewood. Seasoned, Kiln, Kindle... Dial in the wood you want at home! Runs on standard 110 outlet. Energy costs are lower than buying already treated wood. The company is completing a survey as they put finishing touches on the product and their website. They are giving special offers to survey respondents. www.GoodWoodNow.com. Survey at bottom of page.

New product to control moisture in firewood

What wattage is the dryer cabinet?

Interesting, but for my personal budget and planning I'd rather do solar kilns for the first year and then just get ahead. And if I had severe storage issues I would just solar kiln every year and build something a bit more permanent.

Website looks fishy some buttons and links don't work. Am I being punked here?

It might be ok for the occaisional burner that can only buy in small quantities. A big unit would hold about 2 days worth of burning for our stove. It would be a challenge to keep up with the daily winter burning needs of a large stove.

Reactions: kborndale
Interesting, but for my personal budget and planning I'd rather do solar kilns for the first year and then just get ahead. And if I had severe storage issues I would just solar kiln every year and build something a bit more permanent.
Understand! Good Wood is designed for that quick dry (24 hours) for ~38 logs. Built in sections so can rotate and replace ~12 at a time.

It might be ok for the occaisional burner that can only buy in small quantities. A big unit would hold about 2 days worth of burning for our stove. It would be a challenge to keep up with the daily winter burning needs of a large stove.
Good feedback. Thank you! How many logs do you burn a day?

I thought ads, commercial interests peddling their own products in posts was not allowed?

Reactions: sloeffle
I thought ads, commercial interests peddling their own products in posts was not allowed?
He asked permission to post first and Jim gave the ok. It's a new product design that he is trying to see if there is a market for it.

I can see this being a good product for someone who does not have the space to store a lot of wood. They could split or buy split wood, store what they will burn for the year and dry as needed. Instead of paying a premium for low moisture content wood. I think it is going to come down to price of the unit/cost to operate to dictate whether it’s worth the investment.

He asked permission to post first and Jim gave the ok. It's a new product design that he is trying to see if there is a market for it.
Great. (I do think in such cases it'd be good to add that to the thread, otherwise concerns are raised by readers, and it might invite others to do similar without going through the appropriate channels?)

Regarding the market: I would not consider buying this equipment.
The reason is that it will cost significant kWhs (the "just under 1 kW" means 20-24 kWh per day).
The website does not work for me, either on my laptop or on my phone not a single link works, so I can only scroll through what is on the front page.
It's not clear how many splits fit in the thing because there is no pic of the inside. "8 logs" doesn't say much because my splits may be larger than what the mfg thinks is useful.

Suppose I could fit 32 splits of 6" across and 18" long in there, I would burn about 4 days on them. That means it'll only be idle 25% of the time, if it needs 3 days to dry them. Let's be generous instead and say it needs 2 days to dry my 4 day worth of wood. That means half the time of a winter that thing is on.
For a burning season of Nov-Mar, that is 150 days, I'd have 75 days of say 20 kWh per day. That equates to 1.5 MWh.

The sun is doing that for free for me.
Yes, that takes space (because time). But if I burn a winter long with this thing, I still need 1/3 of that space (b/c i'm on a 3 year drying cycle) to have the wet wood that I can dry with this thing.

Bottomline, I think for people that really *heat* their home with wood, this is not the thing to get.
For people that get one pick up truck for some cozy weekend fires, it might be useful because they'll get the wood in October - meaning it's still wet when they want to burn it.

Is it UL listed?

I can see this being a good product for someone who does not have the space to store a lot of wood. They could split or buy split wood, store what they will burn for the year and dry as needed. Instead of paying a premium for low moisture content wood. I think it is going to come down to price of the unit/cost to operate to dictate whether it’s worth the investment.
I'd just pop up a solar kiln if I was space constrained. Considering I am handling wood 2 more times to get it in and out of the electric kiln. At 5,000 lbs per cord(wet) running 2-3 cords through this thing doesn't seem to be worth it when I could just build a kiln around an existing stack and leave it.

Reactions: stoveliker
Hate to back to back post but I was mulling over somewhere this may be useful. One group that may be interested in this would be barbecue/smoker/wood fired pizza folks. Being able to cut high value woods and immediately use them could be of some benefit.

Reactions: ClintonH and Dajolu
My tip is to get your website working before you post links to it. I couldn't click anything on your website which makes me question it. If you can't get your website to work correctly I'm worried about you getting your products to work correctly.

I think it would be better to skip the website and just use a dedicated survey tool like Survey Monkey.

Reactions: Dajolu
I tried some of the links on the website and hardly any worked. What size split length fit in this? Is it for indoor or outdoor? What is the cost? I am sure it will cost more than i am willing to spend. It would probably be good for us as we do not heat exclusively with wood.

Reactions: stoveliker