New Place - New Jotul F55 (and soon to come a F45 for downstairs)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zack R

Feeling the Heat
Sep 27, 2017
Sisters, OR
flic.kr
It was just installed yesterday, waiting for inspection but I like what I see thus far....

I'm going to install a Jotul F45 downstairs once the remodel is complete (~3 weeks). I really enjoyed the F45 at our previous house so I decided to go with its bigger brother at the new place since its much larger (2500sqft overall, 700sqft in the finished walkout basement where the F45 will be).

Looking forward to a warm winter in the new place.

New Place - New Jotul F55 (and soon to come a F45 for downstairs) New Place - New Jotul F55 (and soon to come a F45 for downstairs) New Place - New Jotul F55 (and soon to come a F45 for downstairs) New Place - New Jotul F55 (and soon to come a F45 for downstairs)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice place.............in the heart of Oregon's playground!

Reactions: Zack R
Got to get down and visit the Sister's area. We haven't been there yet and have heard it's pretty special.

That ceiling design makes me cringe a little. It's a heat trap. Use two ceiling fans to force a convective flow by having one blow upward and the other blow downward.

Got to get down and visit the Sister's area. We haven't been there yet and have heard it's pretty special.

That ceiling design makes me cringe a little. It's a heat trap. Use two ceiling fans to force a convective flow by having one blow upward and the other blow downward.

I'm hoping that I'm able to distribute the air around with the central furnace. The return for the furnace is at the top of of the column, near the ceiling.

New Place - New Jotul F55 (and soon to come a F45 for downstairs)

Last edited by a moderator:
That will help, but may consume a lot more power and perhaps generate a bit more noise. How well it works will depend in part on how well sealed and insulated the ductwork is. Is this a heatpump system? Does the air handler have a variable-speed dc motor?

That will help, but may consume a lot more power and perhaps generate a bit more noise. How well it works will depend in part on how well sealed and insulated the ductwork is. Is this a heatpump system? Does the air handler have a variable-speed dc motor?

It is a heatpump system from 2008 that appears to have well insulated ducting, but I haven't looked into the details yet on the motor type. Since this house is large and has a ton of windows I'm not sure that I'll be able to fully heat it with wood (even with two stoves) but the goal is to provide the bulk of the heat with the stoves. I work from home so adding wood during the day won't be an issue.

If it's a high-end (Trane, American Standard) heatpump installation then it may not be as expensive to run the fan only. The system should cover shoulder season heating nicely. That will help save wood.

Is that the Jotul F55? It's a good heater and should cover a good portion of your heating needs as long as it's fed good dry fuel.

PS: Time to update the signature line. And congratulation on the new digs.

If it's a high-end (Trane, American Standard) heatpump installation then it may not be as expensive to run the fan only. The system should cover shoulder season heating nicely. That will help save wood.

Is that the Jotul F55? It's a good heater and should cover a good portion of your heating needs as long as it's fed good dry fuel.

PS: Time to update the signature line. And congratulation on the new digs.

Good to know on the heat pump, this is the first time I've had one. As for F55, yes its a Jotul and we will also be installing a Jotul F45 downstairs so I can't delete that line from the signature :)

Good to know on the heat pump, this is the first time I've had one.

It is cheaper for me to run the heat pump than burn wood until it gets below freezing. One thing to note about heat pumps is they don't like temperature setbacks. If you drop it 4 degrees at night it uses a lot of energy to recover in the morning. Set it and forget it for highest efficiency.

you certainly are not fooling around, it looks great, wish you the best of luck during the heating season.