New member, old problem....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmac1369

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2010
Warfordsburg, PA
I'm new to the site and I'm hoping that someone can help me with a problem.

We have an Eshland C40 multi-fuel boiler. Since it was produced, Eshland has since been purchased by Alternate Heating.

The system is hooked up to our hot water heater.

So here is the problem, we had to repair a few broken spots in the copper piping after a garage accident before we could fire up for the season. Once we turned all of the water valves on, the pressure in the unit itself continued to build and set off the relief valve. This was before we even fired it! I've checked to make sure that we have no visible leaks. The water is coming in to the unit but seems to not be escaping.

I'm just not sure what to check next before calling a service rep to come fix it for us. I'd rather fix it myself if I can. This is where all of you come in. I'm hoping with all of the combined experience here, someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Kevin, How is it being filled? Auto fill valve or a garden hose?

Do you have a auto fill valve or just a valve you turn on to fill the system up? If you just have a manual valve then your well/city pressure will over ride the PRV.

Mine is hooked straight up to my DW I use a manual fill valve and I have to shut it off when I get to the pressure I want in the system.

Rob

I realize it circulates to your water heater but it's not the same water that flows to you faucets. There is a heat exchanger somewhere in your system to transfer the heat to the domestic hot water. There is also a valve somewhere whether auto or manual that fills the boiler side of the system. Do you know where that is?

You are looking for the make up water for the boiler. It will be the household water line with its own shutoff valve. Most boilers run at 15 - 25 PSI so you domestic water will set off the valve. I have a pressre reducer on my fill line so it does not over pressure. Otherwise, it is a manual fill and you have to tuen it off yourself.

Ok, now I understand. Ours is an autofill system then. There is a pressure reducer on the fill line.

I apologize for the time it took to respond. I was trying to complete a few of my "honey dos".

The pressure reducing fill valves that I have seen seem to be 14 PSI. They have a lever you can pull which bypasses the regulator giving the output whatever the input pressure is, and this is used for filling and bleeding the system. I once forgot and left it in bypass and even though I am on well water between 30-50 PSI, it spewed water from the temp/pressure relief valve, which is set @ 30 PSI, and is NOT bypassable. It can be manually "popped" to lower your pressure, or to clean the seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.