New member need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

shorthanded

Oct 11, 2024
Michigan UP
Looking to buy a new wood stove, new member but not new to burning wood. Started in the 70's with a Fisher Momma Bear, currently have a Pleasant hearth. I have used in one season, bought it used. Don't want to use another season. Ok I have answer house too story with masonry chimney with a 6" ss liner. About 20' of chimney located in center of house. My flue opening is 43" to center. FirstI wanter a small Blaze King with a cat. With my present stove I am only 18" from stove top to center of flue opening. Blaze King requires a minimum 0f 24" So a cat stove is out. Next was Green Mountain 40 That is out also. I would prefer a stove with legs rather than pedestal. Osburn dealer is about 140 miles away, Drolet dealer 50 miles. I would like a stove that can be controlled somewhat, I realize these EPA stoves some what fixed in the way they burn. Ok what suggestions do you have?

I like to look the stove before I buy. Several on line dealers offer free shipping. Not sure how I would get a 300 or 400 pound stove off a truck that showed up in my yard I am 83 and don't lift that much anymore.

Reactions: kborndale
If you have a two story home with a tall chimney the Blaze King may still work even though you don’t have the recommended 24” rise off the stove. I had a Princess in a previous home that had a short rise like that but about a 20’ chimney and it worked out fine.

If you have a two story home with a tall chimney the Blaze King may still work even though you don’t have the recommended 24” rise off the stove. I had a Princess in a previous home that had a short rise like that but about a 20’ chimney and it worked out fine.
Yes I have Two story house with Inside Chimney. Had a chimney fire with my wood boiler, So I got rid of the boiler and put in a new gas boiler. I then had the chimney relined with a SS liner. I am guessing I have 17 or 18 ' of chimney Above the horizontal pipe.

Reactions: Todd
18' and having.a horizontal section is cutting it close. Then not having the liner insulated too.
Having less than the initial two ft is therefore something I'd be weary of.

[Hearth.com] New member need help

An inside masonry chimney will help with the draft. Especially if using daily.

Trending content