New Masonry Chimney Connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oswald09

Oct 22, 2020
Pennsylvania
I need to connect a 6" wood stove to a newly constructed masonry chimney. There will be a combustible wall to pass thru. If I am using a terra cotta crock is there any way to pass it thru the wall without building brick around it?

I need to connect a 6" wood stove to a newly constructed masonry chimney. There will be a combustible wall to pass thru. If I am using a terra cotta crock is there any way to pass it thru the wall without building brick around it?
You can use an insulated wall thimble.

The insulated wall thimble is used in lieu of the ceramic crock. If the ceramic crock is essential it needs that large brick barrier from combustibles.

The insulated wall thimble is used in lieu of the ceramic crock. If the ceramic crock is essential it needs that large brick barrier from combustibles.

begreen,

Would I just run class A pipe thru the insulated thimble? Would that connect to the clay flue or would I need some type of adaptor.

begreen,

Would I just run class A pipe thru the insulated thimble? Would that connect to the clay flue or would I need some type of adaptor.
If you get an insulated thimble designed for use with a clay liner you shouldn't need anything else. I prefer the ventis one over any others. They have a stainless sleeve that goes all the way through to the clay liner.

What size clay liner does the chimney have and did they leave the proper clearances to combustibles from the outside of the chimney?

The liner has a hole already cut in it for a 6" terra cotta crock. Yes the chimney is spaced away from the exterior wall.
Yes but what size is the clay liner? You typically will install a short stub of clay through the side of the actual chimney. Then the stainless will pass through that

Why not make the hole bigger and install a short section of class A pipe to make the connection?

Why not make the hole bigger and install a short section of class A pipe to make the connection?
Using a thimble designed for the purpose is easier and ends up looking better

Reactions: moresnow