New Mansfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverstone

Hearth Supporter
Nov 25, 2007
Northwest Michigan
Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've spent much time here or posted ('08 or '09 sometime?), but we recently traded in for a new house and the first order of business was trading our old Jotul for a new Mansfield! Still learning the new stove, but so far we love it -- it has been in the 20s and 30s here at night and we're keeping all 2600 sf warm.

Cheers!

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] New Mansfield
    Mansfield.webp
    132.1 KB · Views: 909
Love that big rock. It looks all the better without the duck feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: PapaDave
That's the big boy right? I really like that stove, great for a house the size of yours.

That's the big boy right? I really like that stove, great for a house the size of yours.
Thanks! I moved about a cord of wood from the old house, all of it cut to about 14" for the old stove, and that stuff looks puny in the Mansfield. I had considered the Heritage, but went with the larger stove on the basis of most people's advice here that a size up is usually better. The Equinox is bigger yet, but I think probably too big for our house given that it's relatively new and tight.

The best thing we did was pay for a professional install -- the guys moved it with a floor safe dolly and made it look easy.

Very nice, what kind of hearth is that?

Very nice, what kind of hearth is that?
It's a piece of limestone called "Gascogne Blue" -- despite the fancy name, it was a remnant at a counter place and a good deal, and is apparently harder than most limestones. I don't know about earlier Mansfields, but this one requires ember only protection. The hearth gets warm out in front of the glass, but is cool to the touch under the stove, even at 400-500 stovetop temps.

Beautiful stove....I'm not up on the newer stuff, what are the spec's?

Nicely done Riverstone!!! Two beautiful rocks there!

Man just moving that stove into your house alone will keep you warm for the rest of your life, doesn't even require wood. I think I'm still sweating from the last one I moved 6 years ago lol.

Congrats. That thing could heat a football stadium......

Man just moving that stove into your house alone will keep you warm for the rest of your life, doesn't even require wood. I think I'm still sweating from the last one I moved 6 years ago lol.

Thanks, RMH. The installers moved it in with a floor safe dolly, and made it look easy -- they did an impressive job.

Motor7, this is rated for 2500 sf. Our house is about 2600, but pretty tight and well insulated. It hasn't been cold enough to really fill it up for an overnight burn, or to really test its whole-house capabilities, but I'm fairly confident that it can keep us warm on its own. The one time I tried to fill the stove, I burned the load a little too hot and fast, but I know there's a learning curve and I'm still experimenting. I am used to running my old Jotul pretty hot, in part so that I could burn it marginally cleaner than the old method of shutting those things down, and I'm trying to be confident that I can burn the Mansfield at 400-500 and still burn it a lot cleaner than a pre-EPA stove.

I'm also looking into a good ceiling fan to draw up cold air and circulate warm air a little better, but we're back into the 50s this week and haven't run the stove for a few days.

i have the same stove in the same size house, and my feedback is the same as yours. i installed a damper in the stovepipe coming right out of the flue. its another adjustment point thats great to have and gives you better control. i can engage the secondary combustion a lot faster with the damper. something to look into if you dont have one already.

My favorite stove, very nice.

That is one of the hardest stoves to move! It has a sheet metal ashpan so it can't be lifted with an escalara, so it has to slid off of it's skid. It's a pain, I have installed 6-8 of em, nice stoves! Love the hearth!

That is one of the hardest stoves to move! It has a sheet metal ashpan so it can't be lifted with an escalara, so it has to slid off of it's skid. It's a pain, I have installed 6-8 of em, nice stoves! Love the hearth!

You are so right. The ONLY mistake they made with that stove was not making the ashpan out of kryptonite lol. It's a 4 man carry. If you are REALLY lucky you can escalara it on the pallet but even that is a chore for 2 very strong guys.

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've spent much time here or posted ('08 or '09 sometime?), but we recently traded in for a new house and the first order of business was trading our old Jotul for a new Mansfield! Still learning the new stove, but so far we love it -- it has been in the 20s and 30s here at night and we're keeping all 2600 sf warm.

Cheers!
That is one beautiful install! I really like the wood floor and paneled walls as well. The single stone hearth seems to be a perfect match there. I'd be sweeping up every stray bit of dirt/wood after reloading to keep it looking that good :)

You are so right. The ONLY mistake they made with that stove was not making the ashpan out of kryptonite lol. It's a 4 man carry. If you are REALLY lucky you can escalara it on the pallet but even that is a chore for 2 very strong guys.
We use the escalera and a rubber tired roller board with casters. It makes it a lot nicer, but still a pain. Lopi made a cradle for the cape cod that works very well! Maybe they will follow suit!

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice comments, all. Yes, I'm still obsessively sweeping the hearth and ash lip after every reload, but I imagine I'll get tired of that soon...;em I wasn't sure what to think about claims that soapstone provides a gentler radiant heat, but it's absolutely true and we're very happy with sitting right in front of the stove even as it's heating the whole place.

I'll try to post a daytime picture with the view out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.