New liner switching from freestanding stove to insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Russn77

Jan 20, 2021
North Central Ohio
Every dealer I've talked to has said that we MUST replace the liner when we switch to an insert. Is that true?? They've stated that they will not install the insert with an old liner... I'm not getting why.

We finally found an insert we love, the Regency HI2450, and I was hoping to use my existing 6" SS insulated liner.

We are having the top 30 courses of our chimney rebuilt this spring, so they have to remove the old liner to do that work. There's a couple sections that need screws added, but other than that its fine. I was hoping to get to re-use it, its only 15 years old. It's a solid SS liner, Dura-something.

I used my old one when I switched to my Regency. 6” insulated SS.

Some liners have a life of service rating. I would call DuraVent 800-835-4429 and ask. If it's only 20 years, it might be worth replacing now. They have several different grades of lining.

I think I'd replace it. Maybe the insulation can be reused.

Yes, after 15 yrs, I can’t blame an installer that wants to install new.

So another question. They want to install a 5 1/2" liner, instead of the standard 6". I've not heard of this before. Can I request a 6" instead? I think they said that the 5 1/2 " is preferred for the Regency inserts, or something like that.

How tall is the liner?

So another question. They want to install a 5 1/2" liner, instead of the standard 6". I've not heard of this before. Can I request a 6" instead? I think they said that the 5 1/2 " is preferred for the Regency inserts, or something like that.
I just looked at the regency 2450 insert manual and it looks like it allows 5.5 or 6inch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russn77
Regency can use either 5 1/2 or 6 inch liner.

Reactions: Russn77
I would think it would be beneficial to me to go with the 6" liner just in case we hate the insert down the road and choose to switch to a free standing stove.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
I would think it would be beneficial to me to go with the 6" liner just in case we hate the insert down the road and choose to switch to a free standing stove.
That sounds like a good move.

We're they thinking of a 5.5" liner due to space constraints in the existing chimney?