New Jotul F600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

boltonandy

Aug 13, 2017
bolton, ma
I have a line on a new F600 for $2500 -- not sure if this is a good price or not. Looking at other posts I need to see what is included in this price but assuming that this is just the base price for the stove...

Apparently the dealer is no longer carrying this unit (brown enamel finish) so it would be the floor model.

What am I looking for? This will be placed in my basement and used to heat 2,200 sqft home - using to provide primary heat and have supplemental elec baseboard and new heat pump system. I live in Massachusetts.

I have been using the stove that was installed in the house when i bought it .. it has no markings and I am guessing its a home made unit form about 40 years ago.. no markers on it. Looking at it last week I noticed that the sides of this unit had a couple of cracks the metal (no wonder i had a hard time controlling the burn! Ill have to post some pics later.. it was a beast of a stove but definitely ran hot and fast!

Thanks for any input/advice. I am relatively new to burning and this is my first purchase.

Hello- 2500 for a majolica brown Firelight is a really good price, they are around 3400-3500 MSRP. Even though its a floor model, still sounds like a great buy. No longer carrying Jotul? Strange too. For a basement heater, seems a shame to put such a pretty stove down there, a big steel stove is usually what i'd suggest to heat from the basement, but at that price its about the same as a nice steel stove. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the quick feedback. They are still continuing to carry Jotl but i guess either not the majolica brown firelight or no longer carry the firelight at all.

Agree -- i was really just looking for an ugly beast :) but this seemed like as good or better deal than most of what I have seen so far.

Other options were the F500 for around the same price or through another vendor the blazeking princess.

It's a great price on a good heater. Is the basement finished and insulated? With this fancy stove down there someone is going to want to start decorating the area to match. ;) What would the stove be venting into? Does the chimney need a liner sized to match the stove?

As you can see in my avatar I have the exact stove you are referencing. I paid around $3400 for it about three years ago and it's been a great stove. Puts out good solid heat and with the big firebox you can load it up pretty well for overnight burns.

Wow, that is a beautiful stove! What size is the firebox?

New Jotul F600
It's right at 3 cubic feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a great deal. No problem being a floor model, what wear and tear could have happened being a floor model?
Zero.

I bought a Jotul 500 2 years ago, plain cast iron, for $2500 and I talked him down $300.

Ask WHY they're not carrying the 600 any more. Could it be that they tend to open up their front seams because of the way the front is bolted to the sides? Might not be the best "workhorse" stove if ti needs rebuilding in 5-7 years...

I've sold a lot of firelights over the years, don't recall having many front seams open. There was a run of them a couple of years ago that when assembled, the furnace cement was too light of a consistency and the top of the door/side plate seam didn't seal properly and created an air leak. I/4 inch gasket pushed in the seam from outside the stove was a good temporary fix until the unit could be taken down and resealed. I've seen many more abused by using the ash door to rev up the fire, some to the point of breaking the bottom plate. I'd think most folks would agree the firelight is and has been a pretty darn good built stove.

Reactions: jotulguy
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I think we may have switched directions. I heard we couldn't put a blower on the f600 (not the f500), is that right?

Now thinking of the Harmon TL300.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Why do you want to put a blower on it?

As BG pointed out, yes the F600 has a blower kit, but the Rear Heat Shield has to be added as a cowling for the blower to blow up through and over the top of the stove. Adds about 450 bucks to the investment too.

I have one. Once you get used to the doors you will love it. Load it up at night leave it at half and you will have coals to get you going in the morning. I love the screen also. I clean it out from the side I never open the bottom.