New Jotul F600 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mantuaeye

Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
Ohio
I just purchased a Jotul F600 that is still on the skid. I thought I would read through the manual and do some preliminary assembly and now have some questions for those who are familiar with this stove. First: One of the included manuals says to remove the bolts from the oval top plate to allow easier access for chimney sweeping ...makes sense, but another manual also included does not mention that at all in the installation instructions. Is it typical to remove these bolts and let the top plate rest in place by gravity?? Second Question: The front ash tray does not fit into place, the air adjustment handle seems to be in the way and the tray will not fit under it. Looks like it needs to be bent up but I really don't want to do that on a brand new stove. Any tricks to getting this tray to fit in??

Many thanks in advance to anyone with knowledge of this stove.

No need to unbolt the top plate if you have a cleanout tee or telescoping pipe and prefer not too. But it is ok to do it. The top is gasketed and set up for this purpose to make cleaning easier. You shouldn't need to bend the air control to fit the ash lip. It's been several years since I put one on, but I don't remember it being particularly troublesome. It just inserts in place.

Mantuaeye said:
I just purchased a Jotul F600 that is still on the skid. I thought I would read through the manual and do some preliminary assembly and now have some questions for those who are familiar with this stove. First: One of the included manuals says to remove the bolts from the oval top plate to allow easier access for chimney sweeping ...makes sense, but another manual also included does not mention that at all in the installation instructions. Is it typical to remove these bolts and let the top plate rest in place by gravity?? Second Question: The front ash tray does not fit into place, the air adjustment handle seems to be in the way and the tray will not fit under it. Looks like it needs to be bent up but I really don't want to do that on a brand new stove. Any tricks to getting this tray to fit in??

Many thanks in advance to anyone with knowledge of this stove.
My F500 Oslo has a similar design for the ash lip and air control. I found that you really need to get the ash lip just right in order for it to fall into its correct location. I wouldn't bend anything on a new stove. Try jiggling the ash lip around a little as you insert it, and it may pop a little further into its resting place and then clear the air control. This is what mine did.

I seem to run into the air control/ashlip thing with just about every F600 we put in... just pry it up enough to slide the lip under. The inside edge of the lip is fatter than the middle, so the little "ball" at the end of the rod will not contact the ashlip surface once you get it under.

[Hearth.com] New Jotul F600 question

You don't have to actually take bolts out. Loosen twist tab retighten, that way for some reason you don't like it loose for cleaning you know where they are.
I can not think of one reason why you would not do this. Swept chimney yesterday raised oval piece vacumed in minuets. And I asked the same question on this forum 6 months ago when installing my stove, it is very handy and will not leak.

Thats My Opinion and I'm Sticking To It

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] New Jotul F600 question
    SDC10159.webp
    121.4 KB · Views: 775
One of your manuals is European the other is for the USA. The European manual says to remove them to make it easier for cleaning. I have removed mine. Just remember that when you replace the oval top that the gasket is in the proper place.

Mad Tom said:
One of your manuals is European the other is for the USA. The European manual says to remove them to make it easier for cleaning. I have removed mine. Just remember that when you replace the oval top that the gasket is in the proper place.

I was thinking of getting some stove gasket cement and attaching back to oval lid, it does not leak smoke like it is but one end piece of gasket was on each side of notch on lid. And if that is what you ment : Good Eye :red:

There is a little notch in the lip under the plate. The ends of the gasket fit through there. Doesn't seem like much of a seal but it works. I have cast kettle steamer sitting on my plate just for a little piece of mind.

Like this Or maybe this. I don't know about peace of mind but I put my kettle on top of stove because it's the only place i see. Got a soapstone Tile under so she won't scratch my paintjob.

LOL Stay Warm

Attachments

SDC10160.webp
    98.1 KB · Views: 507
    SDC10166.webp
    104 KB · Views: 473
cptoneleg said:
Like this Or maybe this. I don't know about peace of mind but I put my kettle on top of stove because it's the only place i see. Got a soapstone Tile under so she won't scratch my paintjob.

LOL Stay Warm

Both ends of the gasket go through the notch so it makes a tighter seal at that point.

Mad Tom said:
cptoneleg said:

LOL Stay Warm

Both ends of the gasket go through the notch so it makes a tighter seal at that point.

O K Tom shes cruisin right now next time I will do it right if You send me some :cheese: pictures. Hoabout the kettle Mate will she work for u. :zip:

cptoneleg said:
Mad Tom said:
cptoneleg said:

LOL Stay Warm

O K Tom shes cruisin right now next time I will do it right if You send me some :cheese: pictures. Hoabout the kettle Mate will she work for u. :zip:

I have the same kettle with the exact same rusty spot up around the cover.

You must be blind I don't have a rusty spot. Mine sets on a soapstone tile.

Thanks everyone. I removed the bolts holding the oval top plate, the top fits nicely in place and has a gasket but makes me a little nervous. It seems too easy to bump this plate and fill the house with smoke. I found that the bolts can be reached from the inside front of the stove so I think I am going to coat the threads with some high temperature anti seize compound and put them back. Removing the top plate to clean will definitely be a must because this stove is exceptionally heavy.

For anyone else with the same problem, the air control lever is soft metal and bends very easily (probably why it was bent down blocking the ash lip in the first place). I bent it up a little with my fingers and the front ash lip fit right in. It looks like this air handle is going to be the weak link in an otherwise very solid (and very heavy) stove.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.