New Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2009
Michigan
Im 2 days away from buying a new wood stove. We currently have selected a Vermont Casting Dutch West Large cat type stove. The stove is around 1600 dollars here in michigan.

First I was back and fourth cat or not cat type.... Now Im thinking steel vs cast.... all of this stuff can turn your brain to mush quick...lol

this is the skinny I need to heat roughly 1050 sqft. I feel sure that installing this will not be a issue. My only question is what to purchase... My neighbor has the very same cat type vermont casting stove that im looking at. My other neighbor has a contry stove that is steel and brick lined and no cat with a blower. both of them swear by each of them. if you get a no cat stove what do you look for when purchasing one.... Tractor Suppply has a nice size one for about 800 bucks with a blower.

I plan on heating this area from now until end of March.. around the clock..

Your input is welcomed very much thanks for your time

Signed Confused

Inspector Confused,

Welcome to the Hearth, first off :)

Second, it's a fairly easy leap to assume ANYONE who burns ANYTHING in ANY WAY will swear by his or her methods & equipment. Just kinda happens that way. A lot.

The fact that you're here is a testament to your desire to learn the best ways, so kudos for that :)

Keep on doing your research and find the best stove for your setup and budget. You do generally get what you pay for. Luckily you're not trying to heat a church here - 1100 sq ft is do-able, but do factor in your insulation / airtightness to your decision. Wouldn't be a bad choice to up-size slightly (i.e. go for one rated for 1200-1500 sq ft).

I'm not a huge fan of the Country or VC/DW lines myself, but they do wildly populate the landscape hereabouts. Kinda like an invasive weed :cheese:

good luck w/ your purchase! What kinda wood did you cut, split, and stack last year to feed this new machine?

I plan on purchasing wood this year. I have a good friend that owns a tree service. I plan on splitting maybe next year... right now Im stuck on furnaces.... (stoves)

thanks for the reply

OK well I won't derail you. It will be a major surprise if your friend has split, seasoned wood to sell you. Not that it ain't out there - just that most firewood sellers find they can sell for the same price w/out going thru the pesky, time-consuming seasoning process. They'll TELL you it's seasoned, but most hardwoods (oak, maple, hickory, birch) need a year or two to season AFTER being split. You'll find folks hereabouts w/ 2 or 3 years' supply on hand seasoning, just 'cause it win't ever found to buy :(

But again - you and your stove will do whatever you choose to :) If you're bound to the VC vs. Country, I'd go w/ VC. But I'd sure as heck be looking at Englanders, Jotuls, and Lopi's.

Then again, I'm a Stone kinda guy now :)

well I filpp floped again .... I was all set to install a Vermont casting/dutchwest now Im leaning towards a Hearthstone -Shelburne model ... the reviews seem to be more positive... throw me your .02 if you like ...

thanks the inspector.

Shelburnes are nice. 3 good reviews on this site. Looks like a great price can be had, too.

I'm burning a HS Selburne this year full-time. It heats more of the house than I expected and I get 10 hour burns with Black Locust.
Very nice stove.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] New Install
    WallShield03.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 417
and it even vents into the house! :ahhh:

(j/k - was hoping to hear your favorable review!)

inspector said:
well I filpp floped again .... I was all set to install a Vermont casting/dutchwest now Im leaning towards a Hearthstone -Shelburne model ... the reviews seem to be more positive... throw me your .02 if you like ...

thanks the inspector.

I think you'll be happier with the Shelburne vs. VC . . . at least based on a number of folks' experiences with VC/Dutchwest.

Edthedawg said:
and it even vents into the house! :ahhh:

(j/k - was hoping to hear your favorable review!)

Cheaper to wear SCUBA gear for the whole family, than to buy good pipe! Plus, no creosote.

Status
Not open for further replies.