New Install Clearance Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

PJP

Mar 22, 2020
Maine
hello! I have some questions regarding a new liner install.

Previous homeowner had a stove here but we are renovating basement and would like to reline chimney and do it right.

I have already bought a new 6” chimney liner kit with a pass through thimble. We have an exterior chimney built right up against the foundation.

There is a hole through the foundation wall to meet the chimney. Pictures below. Other side of the foundation meets the exterior masonry chimney. However, how would I go through the hole to the chimney while meeting clearances? Wouldn’t I still have to keep the 18” to the top sill plate? Is this even doable? I do have a pass through thimble but to my knowledge that has to be on the chimney and not on the foundation. Looking for help.

Also, the hole is filled with mortar right now but will be chiseled out. Thanks,

[Hearth.com] New Install Clearance Questions[Hearth.com] New Install Clearance Questions[Hearth.com] New Install Clearance Questions

Last edited:
It needs to be at least 12" to the nearest combustible framing member but that can be reduced depending on the method used. What pass-through do you have?

I have the rigid pass thru from Rockford chimney supply…. I understand the area inside the foundation (interior) will be protected as the clearance is 1” with the pass thru but what about inside the foundation where the could transfer to where top sill sits? Obviously I don’t think the heat transfer would start a fire but trying to install per code / manufacture specs but not sure what to do with this specific installation

I have the rigid pass thru from Rockford chimney supply…. I understand the area inside the foundation (interior) will be protected as the clearance is 1” with the pass thru but what about inside the foundation where the could transfer to where top sill sits? Obviously I don’t think the heat transfer would start a fire but trying to install per code / manufacture specs but not sure what to do with this specific installation
You need 12" of solid masonry between the pipe passing through the foundation and the sill plate. I usually drill some holes in the sill plate and pump mortar into the cores.

You need 12" of solid masonry between the pipe passing through the foundation and the sill plate. I usually drill some holes in the sill plate and pump mortar into the cores.
I think I should be good then.. I have 14” above the hole until it would hit the sill plate on top of the foundation. Right beyond the foundation is the exterior masonry chimney. What do you think?

I think I should be good then.. I have 14” above the hole until it would hit the sill plate on top of the foundation. Right beyond the foundation is the exterior masonry chimney. What do you think?
The block cores are open so at the very least pack the cores with mineral wool insulation like roxul.

I think I messed up... in the second picture above you can see a hairline crack in the foundation. Well, I bought some fast set quikrete crack sealer and put some in the crack and it ran down the crack, around the thimble. What do I do now?

It is not mortar, it is some type of epoxy that hardens up when set. The bottle also says not to let it go over 140 degrees.

Do I have to chisel out the foundation wall now to get my insulated thimble back to the exterior chimney? Thanks

It needs to be at least 12" to the nearest combustible framing member but that can be reduced depending on the method used. What pass-through do you have?
Like the above post, I think I messed up... in the second picture above you can see a hairline crack in the foundation. Well, I bought some fast set quikrete crack sealer and put some in the crack and it ran down the crack, around the thimble. What do I do now?

It is not mortar, it is some type of epoxy that hardens up when set. The bottle also says not to let it go over 140 degrees. Which I obviously didn't read until after o_O

Do I have to chisel out the foundation wall now to get my insulated thimble back to the exterior chimney? Thanks

Like the above post, I think I messed up... in the second picture above you can see a hairline crack in the foundation. Well, I bought some fast set quikrete crack sealer and put some in the crack and it ran down the crack, around the thimble. What do I do now?

It is not mortar, it is some type of epoxy that hardens up when set. The bottle also says not to let it go over 140 degrees. Which I obviously didn't read until after o_O

Do I have to chisel out the foundation wall now to get my insulated thimble back to the exterior chimney?

Can I put a layer of 1" chimney insulation around the 6" pipe going through the current masonry thimble and call it a day?

Here are some better photos ... right now there is a small layer of mortar in the thimble but will be taken out obviously

[Hearth.com] New Install Clearance Questions [Hearth.com] New Install Clearance Questions [Hearth.com] New Install Clearance Questions