new insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmaho

Jan 15, 2014
Ma
ok my new insert (jotul 450) is sittingmon the floor of the family room right now, I have been reading posts for a while to learn whats what. I am still nervous about building first fire after breakin period.I am worried about glass turning black do I get stove up to high temp. to take care of this and just let it simmer after that? Right now I have 4 cords css in the woods that wont be ready till next year. I will have to use supermarket wood to get me through to March. Stove should be installed this Wednesday. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

My son has that insert. In brown porcelain . Loves it. Heats great. Glass will get black quickly if you
Don't season your wood correctly. You seem to know about that. It's good you're having it installed.
Then you know it's done right;) Burn your first fire small, increasing each fire in intensity slowly. Your
Installer will give you some instruction too. Nice stove! You'll love it.

With the low temperature break in fires you will probably haze the glass. No biggie and it will probably wipe off with a wet paper towel after the insert cools down.

Your are gonna like that good looking heater.

Lots of good reviews for the 450. Smallish splits and kindling for your first fires. Won't burn too long or get out of hand but could get hot. The temps take some getting used to but don't worry not likely you're gonna break it. Good luck and enjoy.

Practice makes perfect, you just got to get your feet wet, keep reading and learning and you will be fine, read your manual twice while it still sitting on the floor..... Congrats and good luck with. It....

Status
Not open for further replies.