New insert questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jkr

Nov 19, 2014
Michigan
Hi all! I'm new here, and have been reading through the threads voraciously, such a great forum! I want to convert my fireplace, it is 29 H, 36 W, 21 or 22 deep. I'd like to keep the brick showing (will try to add a photo here), and I think I'd like the insert to extend out onto the hearth a bit. And I'm hoping for a quiet (maybe remote?) blower. My questions are: what brands might fit this bill? I'm overwhelmed by the number of brands. Also, how hot does the surface get? I have two kids, but they are old enough to be careful. Just wondering how careful they would need to be. My house is 2600 sf, 2 stories.
Thanks for any advise!!!

[Hearth.com] New insert questions

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to do some research on the width of the insert and specifically on the clearances to flammable materials. Based on your picture it appears that the white borders of your surround could be a problem. The surrouund may need to be removed to install an insert. Your hearth may need to be extended as well.

It terms of how hot the inserts/stoves get, most will get as hot as you let them. What I mean is the top of an insert or stove can get up to 600 plus degrees when they are operated under controlled conditions, if operated incorrectly and overfired the can get much hotter! The side walls and door can easily reach 400 degrees.

They can get plenty hot enough to hurt you or your children if they are careless. Most pets are smart enough to stay away from them.

Thanks mstoelton, that's all good to know. Didn't realize I'd have to potentially change the surround, I will start thinking about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.