New insert plan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Hi All,
Been lurking on you for about 3 weeks. Tremendous site with great amount of information and experience. Have not posted till now since all my questions and some I didn't know I had can be answered by looking at existing threads.
For my situation I'm looking for an insert for my masonry fireplace. It has an exterior chimney, 2 stories must be 30-35'.
My preference is a flush mount non cat. Based upon my visits to retailers and internet research (especially here!) I'm pretty sold on the Jotul C550. Large-ish fire box, takes 24" log and attractive to my eyes among other things.
I found a dealer to deliver the unit just under 3K. I am still a little up in the air on the liner. Found a THICK (1/8") 304 L smooth wall flex pipe or 2 ply 316 L 0.012 total thickness. I went to the dealer to see them and the thick liner is really beefy and impressive. Really considering using Thermix in which case I don't know if it will matter much how thick the pipe is. The downside is the Thermix is kinda forever. If I use the 316 if I ever need to make a change (like going to gas 10 yrs from now) it will be easy.
Any thoughts from the experts?

All I can offer you is a thumbs up on the Jotul, I have two myself. Great product! Looks great and functions really well. You will not be disapointed if you choose the 550 for your application. Not quite up on the prices, mine was purchased in 2008 as a leftover from the previous year, paid $1400.

My Oslo, thanks for the vote of confidence on Jotul. $1400 sounds like a deal. I had a line on a lightly used 550 but although it was supposed to have been in the store warehouse for awhile it suddenly disappeared. I looked at a number of products including Enviro, Lopi, Harman, Napolean, VC.... and so far it's the 550 although I am still considering the Eniro Boston.

Hey Jatoxico,

Welcome to the forum. Whichever insert you get I'm sure you'll love wood burning. Do you have a plan of how you're going to get your wood? I found a great wood supplier on Long Island with great prices. PM me if you're looking to buy wood. I don't want to post his info without his permission, but I bought two cords from him this spring and he has proven to be a solid wood guy. Hope that helps. Either way good luck in your quest for an insert.

I have an Enviro and I love it. All the brands you listed are good though. Buy what your wife likes the most.

Thanks for the responses. This is a really good forum!

Local dealer called me back and the owner gave me a pretty good price on the Jotul installed so I'm in! Gave my deposit and they're coming to measure, According to my measurements it will fit but it is close so we'll see.

To my fellow LI'er, I had several Black Locust taken down last summer. I split about a cord + last August that I'm hoping is ready for fall and did the other 1 1/2 - 2 cords in the last few weeks that will be good for next year. There was no rush since I had no stove. I don't know how much I'll use but probably would buy another cord if I knew it was actually going to be dry. Look for my PM. How quickly does wood season on LI? I don't know, it is a bit humid here but probably no worse than anywhere else on the east coast.

I also liked the Lopi (Declaration I think) and it's sibling stoves from the other brands in the family but they won't fit.

I have a long narrow room so if I extend out onto the hearth and have to add fire proofing on floor it will be in the way. Would be do-able but not preferable so the PE are not my first choice although they also seem to have good reputation.

DaFattKidd said:
Hey Jatoxico,

Welcome to the forum. Whichever insert you get I'm sure you'll love wood burning. Do you have a plan of how you're going to get your wood? I found a great wood supplier on Long Island with great prices. PM me if you're looking to buy wood. I don't want to post his info without his permission, but I bought two cords from him this spring and he has proven to be a solid wood guy. Hope that helps. Either way good luck in your quest for an insert.

I'll back up Dom's wood recommendation, I just got 5 cords, getting 3 more. He's a wood burner, so he's got a clue. Get it now, should be ready by December/January.

Wood seasoning can take some time, or not. Depends on the summers here.

Welcome to the forums :)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
DaFattKidd said:
Hey Jatoxico,

I just got 5 cords, getting 3 more.

5 cords! You must be a full timer! Not sure if I'll be able keep the stove running consistent enough to burn 2-3 cords a year, then again...have wood will burn. Thanks for the welcome.

kingquad said:
I have an Enviro and I love it. All the brands you listed are good though. Buy what your wife likes the most.

The Enviro 1700's look like nice products and was seriously considering. Came down to the true flush mount.

Yeah, I burn 24/7. I now have over 6 cords. I'm hoping to burn 3 1/2 cords this winter but I'll probably burn more. I'm finally at a place where I almost have two years of wood.

*Don't be surprised if you're burning habits exceed what you think. It's pretty addicting, and a lot of fun. Good luck!

DaFattKidd said:
Yeah, I burn 24/7. I now have over 6 cords. I'm hoping to burn 3 1/2 cords this winter but I'll probably burn more. I'm finally at a place where I almost have two years of wood.

*Don't be surprised if you're burning habits exceed what you think. It's pretty addicting, and a lot of fun. Good luck!

The room the insert is going in is on the lower level of a split. The cieling is low maybe 7'6" and there are no doors or arches to prevent the air from reaching the upper levels. If the air moves like I hope it will then I'll probably need more wood than I currently have. If I just end up being able to heat the lower level of about 850 sq feet then maybe not so much.

I have another masonry fire place on the 2nd floor so I suppose..........

jatoxico said:
DaFattKidd said:

The room the insert is going in is on the lower level of a split. The cieling is low maybe 7'6" and there are no doors or arches to prevent the air from reaching the upper levels. If the air moves like I hope it will then I'll probably need more wood than I currently have. If I just end up being able to heat the lower level of about 850 sq feet then maybe not so much.

Need 'Um floor plan :)

Decided not to use Thermix to insulate. Going to use Roxul (if I can get it) top and bottom to create dead air space. It's an exterior chimney so I'm a little apprehensive about using this method but I can always add thermix later but once it's in, it's in.

Am I taking the wrong approach?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
jatoxico said:
DaFattKidd said:

Need 'Um floor plan :)

Sorry Dixie no floor plan to show handy. I have high hopes that the air will move well. In addition to the fact that rising air is unimpeded by arches etc, there are ceiling fans and an unused laundrey shoot that goes from downstairs hall to the upstair hallway. Won't know till I'm up and running but baseboard heat rises out of the lower level so why not this?

Status
Not open for further replies.