New insert into old fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joshpmann

Jan 21, 2021
Gig Harbor, WA
Hi! First original post. Thank you for whatever help you can offer. We planned on refacing this, it kind of had a 70s beauty and the beast gothic rock feel. As we uncovered it we found some issues. We can fix those. However, we're now leaning toward adding an insert. Something like this: https://www.lopistoves.com/product/large-flush-wood-nexgen-fyre-rect-2/

The back of the proposed insert is wider and taller than the back of the preexisting box. Is there a way to cut into the back or the sides to allow the insert to slide in? It fits the front of the existing box perfectly, but the back forms like a cave as the top and sides go diagonally in and down.
New insert into old fireplace

Hi! First original post. Thank you for whatever help you can offer. We planned on refacing this, it kind of had a 70s beauty and the beast gothic rock feel. As we uncovered it we found some issues. We can fix those. However, we're now leaning toward adding an insert. Something like this: https://www.lopistoves.com/product/large-flush-wood-nexgen-fyre-rect-2/

The back of the proposed insert is wider and taller than the back of the preexisting box. Is there a way to cut into the back or the sides to allow the insert to slide in? It fits the front of the existing box perfectly, but the back forms like a cave as the top and sides go diagonally in and down.
View attachment 272540
At this point you can just pull the whole box out

Oh, one more thing.

Is the box holding up the chimney? A call with a fireplace person not on site seemed to suggest that the cinder blocks above it are held up and therefore it'd be pretty complicated to take it out...
It shouldn't be. That box is not strong enough to support an entire chimney

Good word. Do you think me and my contractor could pull this out swap it in or should I hire a fireplace guy?
I have no idea if you can or not. It all comes down to skill level and ability to read and understand installation instructions and codes